(6)

SHIVAAY

I know she was not at fault but I can't accept her as my wife having Diya in my heart. It'll be like betraying both Annika as well as Diya.

The day when I felt my niece or nephew's heart beat it was really an emotional euphoria. I didn't know what was the feeling but one thing I decided, I'll treat Annika at least as my friend. It's because of her , Prinku and the baby are safe.

She took care and stood by my family when I was drowning in my own sorrow. Despite my arrogance she  took all in her and never retaliated.

It was known that I was being rude to her all these years, my anger on her for accepting this marriage. Even after knowing my love for Diya and I won't accept her as my wife or in my life, yet she never gave up on my family.

I should have at least treated her better after knowing her from childhood, the memory of Annika when she was born was fresh in my brain. My presence was there. Her tiny hands, legs, nose, pink face altogether made my heart flutter.

Arnav was being possessive of her, he didn't even let me touch her for a long time.After a point I snatched her from him telling " Even I want to carry her "

When she came to my hands, she opened her eyes slowly, I thought she would start her cries. To my surprise instead of crying she gave me a toothless smile.

That day I was on top of the world. With determination I decided whatever happens she'll always be with me and I'll never give her to anyone.

She was named Annika in few days, the name I gave her was Nikki on the first day. Nikki! Yes, I used to call her that and she also used to smile ear to ear hearing that name.

Arnav was jealous of me as Nikki always used be with me, I was behind her talking, walking, running and scolding.

She was always clumsy,  tripping and crying . I always scolded and treated her every time - and she used to show me her puppy face which I can never deny.

Years passed and the Trivedis shifted to London and that day I cried almost whole night hugging her and she never understood anything but wiped my tears.

Things changed she was no more in my mind that's what I told people but she was always there as my Nikki. When she came back and joined the same school I was studying. My attitude and pride didn't let me to show her the care I used to have.

Whereas I acted as if not remembering her because of the class which I needed to maintain. Deep down the urge to meet and talk to her was getting greater day by day. Soon I went abroad for studies and met Diya there.

Now I know why Anika married me and took care of the whole family. I eavesdropped her conversation with mom after she woke up. I was coming inside the room at night to give mom medicines and I heard their deep discussion.

"Annie, thank you. For fulfilling your promise to take care of my family especially Shivaay during my absence.I know it would have been difficult but, I believe none except you" My mom told making Annika sit beside her and shocking me

" Ma, what are you talking? Your family? Our family, Ma. And what is this? Does a mother thank her daughter? Either you don't consider me as your daughter or I'm not your daughter" Annika told wiping mom's tears.

" You are my daughter , understood? May be, Nishitha might have given birth to you but, you are my daughter, okay!" mom told twisting Annika's ear making her wince and making me chuckle at their bond.