CHAPTER 17

♣SHAZIA♣

I'm so nervous I don't know what to do with myself. The nikah is over so now we just waiting for Ziad so we can go to the hall for lunch. I'm sitting in my room with Mariam nervously staring out the window. I don't know what to do when he comes back. Should I greet him, or should I just ignore him? Wait...Do I need to congratulate him? Of course not dummy! Why would I congratulate him on marrying me? Sometimes Shazia you can be really dumb. Wait, I'm talking to myself now. I started laughing out loud, I couldn't help myself. I think I'm going crazy. Mariam looked very scared and her eyes widened so I went to go and hug her. A big , suffocating hug since I still had my dress on.

"What the heck is wrong with you?"

"Nothing , I just thought of something."

"Ziad?"

"Shut up!" I hit her arm but I had to smile. I wasn't thinking about him but he is the reason I was laughing. That fruitcake.

"Stop being so nervous Shaz. He's going to be so shocked when he sees you! Eep! I can't wait to see his face." She started bouncing up and down clapping her hands. I had to  put my hands on her arms to stop her.

"But what must I do when I see him?"

"Just greet him. Don't worry, when you meet him for the first time the two of will be alone so no one will be watching."

"Oh jazakulla." Thank Allah. I was so scared that I'd have to talk to him in front of my abba. That would have been so embarrassing. Just then we heard alot of cars pulling in the drive way. All the men must be back from the masjid now. Ya Allah please give me strength.

"Oh my gaawsh! Shazia!" Mariam kept jumping up and down staring out the window. I badly want to go and look with her but I don't want to risk being seen by one of the men. What would they think of me.

"What Mariam? Oh my word whats happening?!"

"I'm waiting for Ziad to come out of the car so I can see how he looks. Oh my gaawsh!!"

"How many cars are here already? Is everyone back yet?"

"Nope there's only three cars back. Your fathers and my parents car are here and one of your other uncles car."

"But four cars left. Who's isn't back yet?"

"Aahh no man. Ziads not here!"

"What!?"

"Yeah uncle Dawoods car isn't back but everyone else is."

"Oh Allah, where is he? Maybe he realised that he doesn't want to marry me. Oh that will be so humiliating."

Mariam turned around and came to sit with me on the bed. She put her arms around me and gave me a big squeeze just as my tears started falling.

"Don't worry Shaz, he probably took the long cut. He's not from Egypt so he doesn't know the quick way back from the masjid. "

"You right." That did make sense. But the thought of how devastated my parents would be if he left because I told him I don't want to marry him was too much to bear. This is my fault.

"I know I'm right. Trust me Shazia, he will come back and this is not your fault so stop thinking that it is."

I smiled through my tears. "How do you always know what I'm thinking."

"I'm psychic." Mariam smiled smugly at me and stood up. "Come let's fix your make up now."

"Not again."