8. | nostalgia

The forests were calmer in the summer. When she ran her fingers across the large tree trunks, Addison immediately a rush of calmness spread over her. They had traveled a few kilometres into the forest and it continued to amaze them. Birds flew around and even as they were regular creatures, the magic wasn't taken away from how graceful their flight was.

She was immersed in the wilderness and every moment felt sacred. The dirt crunched beneath her dirty brown combat boots she had purchased from a muggle store. A cold brush of air swept through her hair. It was cold with the wind, but she breathed a little, taking in something she rarely ever could experience, and cherished it. She wasn't cold anymore. She felt like she was another part of the forest.

"You look wonderstruck."

Quickly snapping out of her daze, she glanced at Newt, who was casually standing a good few meters in front of her. Her pace was a little slower than his especially when she was so taken away by how beautiful the forest is.

"I'm fascinated."

He let her jog up to him, and they continued walking again. "It's a regular forest."

"Is it? I mean, are forests ever regular?" She said. Her voice was deeper, as if she was in a dream. It was scary how different she would become in nature. Almost as if she was a whole different person

"I guess not."

They took a small break when they reached a lake, and each had a small sandwich and a potato salad. Although she wasn't fond of the food, it was the best they had that was affordable and filling. They ate in silent and watched as birds flew carelessly around them.

The clouds in the sky were a pale of grey and the lake reflected off the landscape so well it was bothersome. Barely any differences were seen when she looked at the trees in the lake. It was a very pretty place.

Looking at Newt, they slowly made eye contact, just staring at each other. For some reason, it felt familiar, and she found herself swimming in curiosity, trying to figure them out. The were a beautiful turquoise coloured eyes, darker hazel the outside, green and blue otherwise. Long eyelashes framed them, and she chuckled a little, realizing how amazing they were.

Newt Scamander was kind of a beautiful being. His messy carefree hair gave an innocent vibe to him, and her heart pounded a little more unevenly. He was the type of person you couldn't help but be amazed by. Their eyes hovered around each other, exploring the rawness they were willing to show around each other. Something about Newt made her feel nostalgic, like he was a distant memory.

Maybe it because her easiest memory of the blonde-haired wizard was the day her father died, and their encounter before she had the news. The memory itself was a little fuzzy in her head, but she clearly remembered the every emotion that day. There was amusement at his clumsiness, amazement at his humble energy, annoyment at Gem, and the denial at both tragic parts of the news.

"What are you thinking about?" he wearily took a bit out of his salad after finally breaking the awkward eye contact. It was rare that she ever got a good look into his gleaming turquoise orbs.

"Just a memory."

He shrugged without further pressing of the topic.

Sighing a little, she pointed her wand at the backpack and summoned a few vials into her had. She collected a few lake samples, took a few notes, while Newt studied the motions of the small ripples in the water. From past research along the lines of how other famous magizoologists had made history, they had always collected boring little details of lake ripples. Although they had no hope over making their success over the samples of lake water, ripple speed, and weight of sand, it took their mind over the even more tedious job: waiting for creatures.