Chapter two: Dalton

I wake up every morning everyday at the crack of dawn. I wake up doing the same thing that I have done as long as I can remember. It isn't hard work really, taking care of the animals on our farm. Its just the fact that the capitol makes us do it, and doesn't give us a choice what we want to do in life.

I know darn well that my daughter, Lia would much rather spend time doing something else other than looking after the livestock everyday. She has so much to offer in life, with that spunky attitude of hers. She could be anything she wanted to be; a teacher, actress, you name it.

That's why Panem needs serious changes, I thought. With me being part of the Rebellion act, Snow doesn't stand a chance. But what about all the Peacekeepers? Not to mention district two, and some of the other Capitol feeding districts? I sigh. If something doesn't happen soon, just one little spark, I don't know what to look forward to anymore.

As I finnish my daily work of maintaining the long-frozen cow embryos, I start the walk on back to the house. Our farm only has a couple hundred acres, a amount that the capitol strictly sets and keeps track of. Lucky for us, our land is quite beutiful; green, rolling hills, giant oak trees, and a huge lake that we can see from the wired fence.

As I make my way to the house, I notice a giant hovercraft cycling over the cloudless sky. I sigh. There's no way me or my wife could afford another Hunger Games tribute in the family.

After what happened to Silas, I joined the Rebellion team, hoping something would change. But nothing has. People die in starvation almost everyday throughout the 12 districts, something the capitol tries to hide by giving false propaganda. Please. Like we actually believe that Panem is off in a "great direction" or my favorite, " a promising future".

When I walk inside the house, I take off my worn-out boots, so the floor won't get even more dirty, which is pointless because almost everything in our house is dusty from the cracked windows.......,

"Daddy!!!!!" Little half pint cries. Her real name is Daisy, but nicknamed half pint from her small, skinny frame.

"Come here half pint!" I cry, pulling her on my shoulders, giving her my daily piggyback ride.

"Me too, Me too!" The twins, Finn and Parsley cry.

"Ok guys hold on a sec!" I cry, pulling off little half pint.

"What 'bout me daddy? Lia says, clearly being sarcastic.

"Why of course a piggyback from my favorite daughter!" Lia screams when I lift her up upside down, and tickle her.

"No stop!" Lia cried.

"That's enough, Clay." My wife says, using my first name which meant she was serious.

"Oooh daddy just got yelled at by mommy!" Little Parsley said. The whole room was filled with laughter til the Peacekeeper appeared at the door. Everyone stood silent.

I walked over, clearly telling the Peacekeepers that everyone was present at the Dalton residence, and that we will all be attending the reaping at precisely two. As the peacekeeper leaves, my wife breaks the silence, presenting forth the annual reaping day clothes.

"Finn, you get to wear Silas's old blue shirt, and your buttoned down pants, ok?" Finn nodded and ran off to the old outhouse outside.

"Daisy, you get to wear Lia's old red calico dress." Daisy nods, clearly nervous since its her first year eligible in the reaping.

"Parsley, you get Daisy's blue calico and Lia..." She stopped and smiled, pulling out my wife's old green calico dress.

"Now you girls run up upstairs and hurry and put those dresses on!" She said. Or wel'l be late!" As the girls ran upstairs, I sighed and planted a light kiss on my wife's cheek.

"Are you nervous?" I asked.

"No, not at all." She said, leaving the room to get ready herself. Course I know better. I know that look anywhere. I remember witnessing it at our Hunger Games, when we were eligible for tributes years ago.

I sigh as I think in my head. This will be the last year before we do something in the rebellion. Yes I thought. In fact, why not start planning after this reaping, today. After all, It will be just like any ol' other year right?