Chapter Ten: Elijah

Magenta's comment fills my mind, as I debate whether or not if I should wake up extra morning, and receive the special training. Why not. I think. After all, I could surely use the training.

I set the alarm that the Capitol provided for me, pull under the covers, turn out the light, and drift off into a long, restful sleep.

When I awake, the boisterous sound of the Capitol anthem fills my ears, quickly shutting it off so I don't wake anyone else up. I got out of the bed, showered, quickly changed into a blue button down top with jeans, similar what I would wear back home, brushed my teeth, and combed by hair. 

When I walked out the door into the kitchen, I was surprised to see Lia already sitting there, eating, and already chatting with Starling.

"How did you beat me?" I said with a smirk.

She smiled. "I heard you get up so I didn't want you to be lonely."

I laughed. "It was the alarm, wasn't it? Sorry I'll make sure to fix the volume. Wouldn't want to interfere with your beauty sleep."

She laughed. "Actually I heard your feet not your alarm. No offence, but you walk pretty loud."

Great. I thought. I guess my limping is worse in terms of loudness, then I thought. I was still limping since yesterday, if not worse. The pain sure felt worse.

I realized Starling was staring at me, and I cleared my throat and took a seat next to Lia.

"What exactly did happen with your ankle, boy hmmm?"

I shrugged. "Nothin'. Just messin' with my brother is all, sir." I tried to sound as formal as possible, although it was kind of hard with my accent. I wanted these Capitol people to think I wasn't some dumb farmer, but a somewhat educated sixteen year old. Although technically, Starling was a district ten native himself so I guess it doesn't really matter.

He didn't seem convinced, and just frowned. "I was just telling your partner, Lia here how to get sponsors. Today, as you know, we will be arriving into the capitol. The fellow Capitol natives will be right outside the trains, which you have probably seen on TV. They will be watching you; from the minute you arrive to the minute you disappear into the dormitories. They will be watching for your looks, personality, and most of all, how you handle a crowd."

He cleared his throat, and continued. "My job is to prepare and get you ready for the arriving, so both of you have the equal opportunity to get sponsors. Every year, I tell the tributes what approach to go along with; mysterious, sexy, flirty, friendly, humorous, arrogant, but with you two, I'm not so sure yet....."

Lia laughed. "I'm definitely not sexy or flirty....I could probably handle the friendly approach."

"Same here." I said.

Starling shook his head. "No. With you, Elijah, that won't work. Your too handsome for that approach. I was thinking...maybe a innocent, puppy-dog look teen-aged approach, with that ankle of yours. A lot of girls would fall for it."

"So in other words, you want me to be the flirty, sexy one?" I said.

"Exactly." Starling said.

He looked at Lia. "And with you, I was thinking with a sort of tough-girl approach. I want you to walk out of there confident, but yet smiling and waving at the audience, like Elijah."

She nodded. "Got it."

"Good. Both of you, eat and get dressed. I would recommend dressing in something related to district ten; maybe a plaid shirt and a pair of boots?"