Chapter Four: Lia

The cold breeze tickled my skin as we made our way into town. The breeze wouldn't be that bad, if I didn't have to wear my mom's old, green calico dress. I guess I'm your typical farm gal; I don't mind working hard and getting dirty and I absolutely hate getting dressed up for stuff. It woudln't be so bad if I had to dress up for an event that actually mattered. I mean come on, getting all dazzled up for a stupid Hunger Games, an event I was most likely to die if I got picked?

The town square had a sinister feeling by the time we arrived. Our town square was usually a somewhat jovial atmosphere; mostly surrounded by town kids my age who had nothing better to do but roam the streets for awhile. I could never stand the town kids; the way they looked at us farm kids like we were some outcasts from a different world. Plus, they almost never got picked to represent us in the Hunger Games. Seriously. I guess us farm kids would most likely have a better chance of winning anyway; working hard on the farm and getting into amazing physical shape. That was the one advantage 10 had in the games; we were usually in much better physical shape than the rest of the tributes. The capitol actually makes sure we have a somewhat balanced diet; in order to work hard on the farm everyday. 

I don't why but district 12 popped into my head; I guess because they almost never win. Their last victor, Haywire or something won years ago during the second quarter quell. I always rooted for them if 10 was already out or if they were close to it. I always kind of admired their district; they were much tinier then most districts but managed to hold on to their own culture. I wonder what their tributes will be like this year, I thought.

When we got to the Justice Building, my parents, Finn, and Parsley kissed Daisy and I goodbye and wished us luck. I could tell Daisy was especially nervous this year; it was her first year after all. As we said our goodbyes, I grabbed hold of Daisy's hand and started walking towards the center. Looking around, some first years were obviously freaking out; crying, screaming, you name it. Luckily, Daisy kept right on walking; although squeezing my hand a little too hard if you ask me.

By the time everyone arrived at the Justice building, our district mayor makes a brief speech, welcoming us to the 74th annual Hunger Games. He then tells the same story we hear every year; how the games started and how much we owe to the capitol. Please. They owe us way more then we do to them. Killing innocent children, breaking up families, forcing most of us to live in poverty; and we still owe them? I know it wasn't the mayor's fault; I think president Snow made it required for all mayors to read over the same stupid story every Hunger Games.

Anyway, after the mayor and all his blabbing and the propaganda video we watch every year, Magenta Reinaldo made her way to the stage and started her yearly speech. Magenta wore her usually Capitol appearance; bright green neon top, black skinny jeans, purple high heals, and a pink ponytail wig. As much as gullible she was to the Capitol propaganda, I liked her. She always went out of her way to be nice to people, especially to the tributes. At least that's what  it seams.

I guess I was too busy daydreaming when all of a sudden Magenta calls out her yearly "Lady's first," making her way to the jar full of names. Oh man, I thought. This is it. Course I knew there was no possible way that mine or Daisy's name would be chosen. At least that's one good thing about Silas's name being chosen. Mine, Daisy's or the twins will never be chosen because of him. Aparrently, that didn't matter though because as Magenta dropped her Capitol polished hand in the pile and as Daisy squeezed my hand so hard I thought surly it would break, Magenta read off a name that that sounded too familiar, way too familiar. I didn't realize it was me until it echoed in my head a couple times.

"Lia Dalton."