16

Renjun pressed his palms flat against the gold railing that lined the perimeter of the ship's bow. Chenle stood close by, allowing Renjun to feel the nervous aura the younger was presenting. The cabin boy was not the only one to be in this state as the rest of their crew was mere feet behind, dealing with their anxious thoughts in their own way.
Jaemin stayed true to his role on the ship, and trapped himself up in the crow's nest, his watchful eyes scrutinizing the cobblestoned streets for any sign of their Captain and seamstress.
"Ten to two," despite his low tone, Mark's voice carried over to everyone's ears.
Almost two hours now, Renjun mutely noted.
"I'm bringing Y/N back," their Captain had announced, looking more determined than they've ever seen him.
"The plan?" Haechan questioned, arms folding over each other.
"I'm going to pose as a Navy soldier and wing it from there." Jeno offered a devious grin after noticing their shocked expressions. "If I like the uniform enough, maybe I'll think about even switching sides. See how it feels to fight against such a strong crew such as this one."
"You're going alone?" Mark ignored his jokes. "Excuse me for my brashness, Captain, but that's fucking stupid."
"Wouldn't it be best to have at least one of us come with you in case of an emergency?" Renjun added in.
"The hardest part is sneaking off the ship without getting noticed." Jeno explained, "after that, it's just smooth sailing."
"Because trespassing onto Navy property isn't difficult at all, right?" Mark argued, again. "It's a suicide mission."
"Listen, I'll be back within two hours." Jeno continued on, acting ignorant towards his right hand man's words. "If I'm not, you all know what will need to be done."
Mark ran his fingers through tangled locks, pulling at his hair in apprehension. If their Captain wasn't to return in the next eight minutes, they would need to pull away from their docking position and leave the town. This would mean Jeno's automatic retirement of position and Mark, being the second highest in position, would become the crew's new Captain. It was a position many wanted, but he had no desire for such a role.
Jeno had been born for this role, and Mark would be damned if he'd let his Captain give up the position this soon.
"Halt!"
The sudden cry grabs the attention of the group, their heads turning almost simultaneously to look for the source of the shouting. In the distance, between two buildings and running with all their might, was their Captain and seamstress.
Mark would have smiled in relief if not for the large group of Navy soldiers that were following close behind them. The suddenness of the situation sent him into a leading role, and he began calling out orders to his crewmates.
"Weigh anchor and hoist the mizzen!" he barks out, watching in momentary pride of how fast his friends were to spring into action. "We need to bring down the plank!" Mark grabs Renjun and Jisung, bringing them towards the side of the ship.

⚓⚓

Your entire body feels like it's engulfed in invisible flames as you grip harder onto Jeno's guiding hand. The adrenaline that's coursing you is the only source of energy that's pushing you to continue to run. You felt as though your jellyfied legs would give out any second now, and you try to muster any strength left in you to oppose of the action.
"Halt, I say!"
If it weren't for the pulling of your savior's hand, you probably would have out of pure fear. You didn't want to think of what consequences would await if you were to be caught, but you were sure it meant possible imprisonment.
You risked taking a look behind, noticing how far behind the soldiers were beginning to be. The crowd Jeno decided to weave you through was heavy and without the crafty experience, it would be hard to run through a crowd such as this. Looking back ahead, you grin as the distance between you and the ship began to quickly close.
Before long, you were being ushered to walk across the thin plank and momentary panic flashes over you. You feel Jeno's hands on your waist, and you involuntarily blush as he reassuringly guides you onto the ship.
Renjun offers you his hand and pulls you on deck. "I would give you a proper welcoming back but we have bigger worries right now..."
You turn to see that the Navy soldiers had finally caught up to you.
Growing alarmed at the sight of the soldiers crawling onto the plank, you grab an oar that was discarded on the floor and begin to wildly swing it at them. Jisung grabs at you, bringing you away from the side while Jeno and Renjun make haste to push the plank off the ship entirely. With their efforts paired with Mark's experienced steering, the ship pulled away from port, leaving behind the mass of Navy soldiers.
In the next moment, you were pulled into various hugs, being tugged and pulled between Jisung and Renjun as they welcomed you with warm embraces. You didn't have time to register their actions before gripping hands were pulling you away from their arms. Jeno lets out an annoyed cough as he gently squeezes your shoulders.
"Inform Haechan that there will be a feast tonight in honor of Y/N's return." Jeno says. "I'll be tending to her wounds for the time-being. No one is to enter my quarters until further notice."
Renjun, being the crew's most experienced with medical situations, speaks up, "Captain, shouldn't I-"
"I've asked you to tell Haechan of tonight's event, so please see to it." Jeno cuts him short, and the boy falls silent before a knowing smile appears.
"Of course." With that, he drags Jisung with him off deck, in search of their cook.
"Come on," Jeno urges you with a gentle push.

⚓⚓

"What did you do in order to get these?" he questions as you prop yourself at his desk chair.
He rummages through his drawers until he pulls out a small wooden box. You silently raise your hands when he returns to your side, allowing him to examine the injuries.
He lets out a sigh, shaking his head. "You may not be able to carry out your duties as a seamstress, afterall. I suppose you'll be freeloading for some time."
"You're the one you brought me back on deck." You reply, and he chuckles.
"Indeed I did." He sweetly smiles. "Now, let's see your hands."
"They're not that deep." You explain, watching as he dabs a cotton swab with disinfectant.
"Nonetheless, they should be tended to." Jeno argues in return as he kneels. He gently grabs your right hand, and begins to carefully clean them. "If I don't do this, at least, then there's a chance of infection. And I didn't go through the trouble of getting you back just so you could fall ill on me."
Your ears burn at the comment. "I took care of them this morning, after the incident."
Ignoring you and working on your other hand, he continues on with his rant, "To think you would get this injured without me keeping me an eye on you."
You were about to bitterly reply with a comeback when Jeno suddenly brings your hand to lay against his cheek as he looks up at you with a gentle gaze. You're unable to look away, the serious look in his eyes keeping your stare rooted in place.
"I'll have to stay by your side, then."

——————————————-

Thank you guys so much for 1k views ;-;