22

The following moments pressed on as vivid blurs - a mixture of flailing limbs brandishing swords and battle cries. Chenle had been the first to act, seeing that he was the closest to the horrible event. With his weapon held well over his head and his face contorted in a grieved expression, he led the attack on Moira.

Despite the sudden battle that had unfolded, you couldn't tear your eyes off of Jeno's unmoving figure. You were overtaken by a variety of emotions and the only way to relieve them was through the hot, fat tears that were streaking your cheeks.

Why were you so useless? The repetitive thought was harassing you to no end. For good reason, you realized. What good were you just sitting here, falling into a pit of despair when everyone else was fighting for the sake of their Captain and friends?

You had to do help them. Despite your lack of combat skills, the very least you could do was see that Jeno was sent peacefully off. The thought of him growing cold under your touch was unbearable, but if this was the one thing you could do, then you would make sure it was to be done.

Noticing that the battle between the crew and Moira had transitioned away from Jeno, you shakily bring yourself to your feet. You sway for a moment, still shaken up by nerves and the attack from the Sea Witch.

You resembled a newly-born fawn as you teeter towards Jeno, careful to not draw attention. Once you were close enough, the vivid stench of iron clouded your other senses and you had to stop yourself from looking directly at the source of blood.

You drop to your knees and immediately bring your quivering fingertips to the side of his windpipe. You closed your eyes, wishing for a pulse to make its presence known.

"That tickles, you know." You're startled upon hearing his voice. It was the last thing you were expecting and you smiled fondly at the sound.

Jeno reaches for you, placing his stained hand to rest on your cheek. His gentle touch was overcome by the trembling of his fingers. You pushed your cheek further into his palm, uncaring of the remnants on it. You wanted to say something - anything - but an ugly sob found its way out of your lips instead.

Placing his thumb just under the area of your eye, he lets out a gurgling chuckle, "I can't have you crying because of me, again."

Your eyes lock with his dulled ones as you bring your own hand back towards his face, aiming to wipe off the blood that had dribbled out from the corner of his mouth. He forces himself to smile at the action in an attempt to soothe your worries.

But with the wound in his abdomen, there was virtually nothing that could calm you down. Noticing the way your eyes were trailing towards it, Jeno softly calls out for you once more.

After grabbing your attention, he shows you a more confident smirk that sends you in a fit of confusion.

"Have you forgotten my curse after going through all that trouble of finding out what it was?" your face flares in embarrassment in spite of yourself, and he chuckles once more, sounding less strained. "I can't die unless it's from the curse's conditions, okay?"

The hand on your cheek finds its way to the back of your head, his fingers tangling themselves into the wet strands of your hair. Jeno guides you close to him, bringing your face towards his until his uneven breath is faintly fanning your cheeks.

"So, unless you want your hair to match mine, I think it's best you stop worrying over me." He presses a chaste kiss to your forehead, momentarily shocking you.

Once you pull away from him, Jeno holds an expression that hints at unspoken words. Instead of speaking once more, he combs his fingers in your hair, allowing you to forget just for a moment where you two were.

"Y/N, Captain" you suck in a breath at the pained voice that comes from behind you.

Timidly, Renjun places his hand on your shoulder. Once you turn to face him, he shows you a soothing smile that is too kind for the situation you are in right now. With fresh tears brimming your eyelids, you embrace his frail form.

"If that lasts any longer, I might think I have some competition." Jeno comments and you couldn't help but weakly laugh. Rubbing your eyes, you look back at him to see his lips pulling up into his signature grin.

"Now, let's take down that Sea Bitch."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like to think my puns are funny
ps if anyone knows some good xiaojun or winwin fics, please send them my way 🥺 i've gone through enough yuta and jaehyun ones for now lol