Scientist: Becoming Hulk

Having successfully recreated a Super Soldier Serum consisting of gamma radiation as opposed to vita radiation, Bruce was administered a myostatin primer designed by Betty Ross that allowed his cells to absorb radiation temporarily, and believing that his serum was designed for radiation resistance, decided to test it on himself. Wishing to impress the general, Banner upped the dosage of the gamma radiation.

Banner was doused with an immense amount of gamma radiation, but the serum's effects, along with Dr. Ross' primer, caused Bruce to transform into a giant, green-skinned, muscle-bound titan with incredible strength, but who posed little intelligence and was driven by fits of extreme rage. As an enraged, nearly mindless creature, Banner destroyed the lab, injuring Betty, killing two scientists and an army officer, and also crushing General Ross' arm.

In the wake of the accident, the military closed the entire lab building for a year and shut down the entire project. Having managed to revert back to his human form, Banner tried to visit Betty Ross while she was in the hospital, but her father made him leave. Ross admitted to Banner that the project was developed for military offense and informed him that if he did not allow his monstrous form to be used as a weapon in combat, then his troops would come after him.

Three days after the accident, Ross met Banner in the destroyed lab, offering him to take him to another workplace in Maryland to perfect the serum. Banner refused and blamed himself for all the people he hurt, including Dr. Ross. Banner ran off, hiding inside the janitor's room and using the clothes available for disguise, while prompting Ross to order his own troops to chase after him, only to find that Banner was gone. Now a fugitive of the United States Army, Banner went on the run.