Debrief

Cey sat at the wide end of a long, gray table. Behind her was a window, and Hernández. Across from her sat Archer. Reed stood to his right.

She forced her gaze towards the lieutenant. She refused to feel embarrassed for the night before.

He avoided her gaze, his expression carefully neutral. She realized he was still angry with her.

Archer exhaled somewhat louder than was necessary.

She pulled her annoyed gaze from the lieutenant and gave her attention back to Archer.

He made no attempt to hide what he was feeling. It was clear he didn't like what he was about to say.

"Starfleet has decided not to hold you accountable for... yesterday's events."

She said nothing but wasn't at all surprised. Governments were often predictable. As long as the work was done, it often didn't matter how...

"However," Archer added, straightening himself in his seat. "This is still my ship. I have the last say. And your *services* are no longer needed."

He wanted her off his ship. She understood so she nodded, but she couldn't shake the small grin that had unwittingly made its way onto her face.

He all but glared at her but didn't comment.

"Phlox says the Andorian is fit to travel. He will meet you in the cargo bay."

So he didn't just want her to leave. He wanted her gone. Now.

Her eyes narrowed ever so slightly. Fine. If that's how he wanted it.

She made to stand up.

So did he.

"We're not done," he said sternly, but without anger.

When it was obvious to him that she was going to remain standing, he continued. "Phlox asked me to give you this." He reached down from behind the table beside him to pick something up.

She was surprised to see him set an urn down between them.

"I have to admit," she said, "I didn't think you'd actually do it." She was referring to the cremation.

"Neither did I," Archer admitted. "But after Phlox's autopsy, and listening to what Lieutenant Reed said of your conversation,"

"Ah," she interrupted, "you don't think I'm so unstable now. Is that it?"

Archer smiled grimly but didn't answer. Reed only scoffed.

She ignored him.

"So you *did* know he was sick," Archer said.

Her eyes didn't move from Reed's, but she nodded all the same. "Of course I knew." She turned back to Archer. "I was his wife."

Both men seemed taken aback by the statement.

Now she sat back down. Archer did the same.

"His wife?" Archer asked.

"And his colleague," she added. "It was the best way to get access to his work."

She glanced at the urn. She could still hear his accusation of her. That she'd used him. He hadn't been wrong.

"It's only been a few months since the attack," she heard Archer say.

She knew what he was asking. How had she gotten him to marry her in that short amount of time? It sounded impressive, she had to admit. But it hadn't been that simple.

"I had a bit of a head start."

She briefly wondered if Daniels would be angry if she said any more.