1. First Day of Summer

It was the last day of school in Derry Middle school and Derry High school. Everyone was counting down the minutes that went by on the clock, not even paying attention to the lesson being taught. Well, only one person wasn't counting down the seconds.

Katherine Walker, she was passed out at a desk in the front of the classroom. She had stayed up late at her friend Richie's house and slept in all through the last period. She would usually pay attention in this advanced math class but it was the last day of school so there was no point.

Only ten seconds until the final bell would ring.

Stanley Uris leaned over in his desk beside her, reaching over, trying to gently shake her awake. "K. Katherine," he called only for her to mumble incoherently and still be in her deep slumber.

The last bell finally rings, signaling school was out. Everyone cheered as they all picked up their bags and ran out of the room.

Stan picked up his backpack, walking over to Katherine, ruffling her hair. "Kat, wake up!" She sat up startled, her eyes landing on her friend. "Come on, school's out!" he told her as he went towards the door.

"Oh," Katherine said. "Stan, wait up!" She fell out of her desk, trying to hurry and get out of her tired state. She picked up her backpack running after Stan in the hall. She managed to grab the boy's hand as they were about to be pushed apart due to the pack of kids wanting to leave.

The pair jogged up to their other three friends, Eddie Kasprak, Richie Tozier, and Bill Denbrough.

"Wait, you guys!" Stan said, finally catching up with them.

"Hey, Stan, what happens at the mitzvah anyways? Ed says you slice the tip of the d-d-d-dick off," Bill stated.

"Yes, Rabbi's gonna pull down your pants. And he will tell the crowd: 'Where's the beef?'" Richie joked causing Kat to laugh.

"At the bar mitzvah, I read from the Torah and then I make a speech, and suddenly I become a man," Stan answered.

"There's more funner ways to become a man," Richie stated.

"Hopefully, none that will make me vomit in my mouth," Katherine stated.

"'More fun ways', you mean," Stan corrected Richie.

"Shit," Richie muttered, looking down at the floor as he passed by the Henry Bowers gang.

Katherine held Bill's hand as she tried to look anywhere but Henry Bowers' stupid face as they walked by.

"Do you think they'll sign my yearbook?" Richie asked. "'Dear Richie, sorry for taking a hot, steaming dump in your backpack last month. Have a good summer'," Richie stated as Greta Bowie bumped shoulders harshly with Stan.

"Watch where the fuck you're going, you big ass giant," Katherine called out before turning back to her friends. "Yeah, the day they sign your yearbook is the day I hook up with Henry Bowers," Katherine replied as the group exited the school.

"That's just g-g-gross," Bill told her.

"I meant never, Billy," she replied as she unzipped her backpack and they all approached a trashcan.

They all dumped their textbooks and papers in the trash, making their bags a lot lighter.

"The best feeling ever," Stan stated.

"Yeah? Try tickling your pickle for the first-" Richie began, pushing his glasses up to his nose.

Katherine covered her ears. "Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb," she chanted so she wouldn't hear him.

Eddie uncovered her ears as he asked,
"What do you guys wanna do tomorrow?"

"I start my training," Richie answered.

"What training?" Katherine asked.

"Street Fighter."

"Only thing you'll probably ever train for," Katherine stated.

"Is that how you want to spend your summer, inside of an arcade?" Eddie asked.

"Beats spending it inside your mother," Richie joked, raising his hand for a high five from Stan who lowered his hand down.

"What if we go to the quarry?" Stan suggested.

"That actually sounds really fun," Katherine stated.

"Guys, we have the b-b-barrens," Bill told them.

Katherine nodded. "Right," she answered, smiling at Bill. She loved how determined Bill was to find his brother but she didn't want him to be heartbroken if the younger Denbrough was gone for good.

"Betty Ripsom's mom," Eddie nodded to the woman, standing towards the school, looking forward hopefully.

"Does she really expect to see her coming out of the school?" Stan asked.

"I don't know. As if Betty Ripsom's been hiding in HomeEc for the last few weeks," Eddie stated.

"Do you think they'll actually find her?" I ask.

"Sure. In a ditch. All decomposed, covered in worms and maggots, smelling like Eddie's mom's underwear," Richie replied, earning a harsh smack in the stomach from Katherine.

"Shut up. That's fucking disgusting," Eddie muttered.

"She's not dead. She m-m-m-missing," Bill told the boy.

Richie saw the hope Bill's eyes about if the other missing kids were all right, then Georgie had to be too. "Sorry Bill, she's missing," Richie said and he began to walk. "You know the barrens aren't that bad. We'd have some laughs splashing around in shitty water."

Henry Bowers grabbed onto Richie's backpack, yanking him back, knocking him into Stan who fell to the ground with Richie.

Patrick Hockstetter picked up Stan's fallen kippah. "Nice frisbee, flamer."

Stan tried to reach for it. "Give it back."

Patrick tossed it into the open window of a bus going by.

Belch Huggins burped in Eddie's face causing the boy to gag in disgust. Henry walked by Katherine, squeezing her ass as he did so, making her jump back. "It's real tight," he told her. Bill glared at the boy who just assaulted Katherine as Henry nudged Bill harshly. "Fuckin' losers."

"You s-s-s-suck, Bowers," Bill exploded.

"Shut up, Bill," Richie told the boy as Henry's gang stopped.

Henry turned to Bill. "Did you s-s-s-say something, B-B-B-B-Billy?" Henry mocked. "You got a free ride this year cuz of your little brother." Henry walked up to Bill as Katherine gripped his arm in worry. "Ride's over, Denbrough." Henry stopped, glancing at his dad who was now watching his son.

"Should I tell daddy dearest what you've been doing all school year, Bowers?" Katherine asked, sensing some kind of fear from Henry.

Henry ignored her as he stared at Bill. "This summer its gonna be a hurt-train, for you and your faggot friends."

He licked his palm, gliding it onto Bill's face before walking away with his gang.

Katherine would do anything for Bill and was really in the mood to kick Henry's ass.

"Man, fuck that guy," Katherine stated with a scoff.

"I wish he'd go missing," Richie remarked.

"He's probably the one doing it," Eddie said.

***

So happy I finally published this 😊