The March of Ice

{Silver's POV}

In the morning by dawn, we were up and walking across the ice ridges, and other slopes, both down and up, on our way to Aslan.

"Now, Aslan's camp is near the Stone Table, just across the Frozen River." I said, and Peter looked at me. "River?"

He asked me.

"The river's been frozen solid for a hundred good years Peter." I said, and he looked at me. "It's so far." He said.

"It's the world, dear. Did you expect it to be small?" Mrs Beaver asked, and I heard a snort, and looked at Susan.

"Smaller." She said, and we all began to walk across the long frozen river.

I walked alongside Peter and the other children, while the Beavers walked, or maybe rather scampered ahead across the river.

"Come on humans! While we're still young." He said, and I looked at him.

"What am I then?" I asked him, sounding indignant. "You're... a wolf I guess."

Beaver said.

"Very clever." I said, and Peter snorted from next to me. "If he tells us, to hurry, even one more time, I'm gonna turn him. Into. A. Big, fluffy hat!" He said, letting Lucy climbed onto his back.

"Hurry up! Come on!" Mr Beaver said, and I laughed at the expression on his face.

"He is getting a little bossy."

Lucy said, and I laughed.

"Behind you! It's her!"

I heard Mrs Beaver shout, and I pulled out my sword, and spun around, ready to defend them.

"Run!" Mr Beaver shouted. "Run!" Mrs Beaver shouted. "Run! Silver come on! Let's go! Run!"

Peter shouted, and I ran after him, and picked up Lucy as I went, knowin that she was exhausted. "Hang on!"

I shouted as loudly as I could, and shifted into wolf form, and leaped over much of the river.

She hung on for dear life onto my neck, and I leaped again, landing on the grass, and we hid all in a log.

"I think she's gone." I said, looking completely exhausted from the run, plus holding Lucy. "Thank you."

Lucy said, and I looked at her.

"You're my charges. It is my job after all." I said, and she hugged me. "You, young one, are going to hug me, half to death." I said.

"I suppose I'll go look..." Peter said, and Mr Beaver shook his head. "No!" I and him said at the same time.

"You are worth nothing to Narnia dead. I'll go." Mr Beaver said, and climbed out.

I followed him.

"It's Father Christmas, you haven't been to Narnia in a 100 years." I said, and he smiled at me.

"I still daresay, that you could do with these." He said, and Lucy smiled. "You have presents." She said, and I smiled at him, and she ran forward.

He pulled out a bottle, and a sheathed dagger with a belt on it. "The juice of a fire-flower. One drop, will cure any of a known injury. And though I hope you never have to use it." He said, and gave her the dagger.

"Thank you, sir, but I think I could be brave enough." She said, looking him in the eyes.

"I'm sure you could. But battles are ugly affairs. As I'm sure that your lady Protector could tell you, having been in a fair few herself."

He said, and I looked at him, and he winked at me. "Yes sir." I said, and he looked at me, and pulled out another sword, with a wolf's head on the hilt.

"Sir, I do not deserve this." I said, and he looked at me. "Aslan knows you do, as do I. Use it well lady Protector. The name of the blade is Loyalty." He said.

"I shall use it well." I said, buckling the sword around my waist, as I move my other one to the other side.

"Susan." He said, pulling out a bow and quiver of arrows, and the soon to be Queen stepped forward.

"Trust in this bow, and it will not easily miss." Father Christmas said, and Susan took it from him. As she looked up into his eyes.

"What happened to battles are ugly affairs?" She asked, and he chuckled at her intelligence, and I bit my lips and knuckles on my laughter.

"Though you don't seem to have any problem making yourself heard, blow on this wherever you are, and help will come." He said.

"Thanks." Susan said, taking the horn.

"Peter." Father Christmas said, and the eldest looked at him. "The time to use these, may be near at hand."

He said, handing him a sword and shield, emblazoned with the Red Lion, Aslan's sigil. "Thank you sir."

Peter said.

"These are tools. Not toys. You Protector, will train you in the Arts of these weapons." He said.

"Long live Aslan! And of course! Merry Christmas!" He said, and he raced off, and we all ran off, as we raced off to the river.

"We need to cross!"

Peter shouted, as we saw the ice melting. "I will carry Lucy." I said, and he looked at me.

"Do you trust me or not?" I asked, and he nodded. "Up you come Lucy." I said as we ran down the hill.

I climbed down, Lucy still on my back, as the ice continued to crack all across the river.

"Maybe I should go first." Mr Beaver said, and we ran off again. I turned in, and into a wolf. "Hold on Lucy."

I said, and leaped from patch to patch of cracking ice. It was lucky I was still fairly light.

Because if I wasn't, the ice would've fallen in with both of us on it. "Hurry! Cross!" I said, as we reached the other side, and were faced with wolves.

"Oh no." I said, and Mr Beaver and Mrs Beaver were both pinned by the wolves.

Suddenly, the ice all fell down at once, and I reached out a hand to Peter, and he grasped it, and I yanked him hard, and Susan gasped, hanging onto him.

"Ow!" I shouted, as I had double the weight now. "Beavers!" I shouted, but before they could reach me.

Then someone else was pulling with me, and one more joined that. "Fredo! Wilburn!" I shouted joyfully, at seeing my two best friends again.

"Silver!"

I heard them say back to me, as they both helped Peter and Susan up onto their feet together to stand.

"Your majesties." They said. "You're two of Silver's friends. Shifters." Peter said.

"Yes. Wilburn is our watcher, from the sky, the hawk. Fredo, is our bear of the earth." I said, and he looked at me.

"Why on earth and in Narnia for Aslan's sake! Why haven't you called or answered mine?!"

I asked, punching them both in the arms. "We are sorry but we have been in deep hiding. As far as we know, we are the only ones left." Wilburn said.

I winced. "Alright. Let's continue. We go to Aslan. There must be no more of that. Stopping."

I said, and they both nodded.

"Wilburn take to the skies once more, warn us if the Witch is close behind. I am Fredo, counting on you to find the others in hiding. Go now."

I said, and the bear ran off, and the hawk flew into the sky. "Shall we?" I said, and we continued to walk.