Part VI: Black

I was close to the village Akios told me about. From the distance, I could tell it was a small and very lively village with a lot of little kids. They ran towards me.

"Witch!" the kids shouted excitedly when they saw me coming.

"Another witch is here!" They ran around to examine me.

"This one isn't as scary as the last one," a girl who examined me carefully told it to the other children.

I found it interesting that another witch passed through the village before me. When I find the adults I'll ask them all the details.

"This one must be friendly," a little boy said."Her eyes are normal, blue. The other one had red eyes."

It must have been Rheya. She passed through the village before me. I should have known it was her. She was the only other witch in the area it seems. I was lucky I didn't accidentally run into her somewhere.

"She's all alone." a girl said."She doesn't have any slaves with her."

Rheya is such a bad role-model. It's unnatural to have slaves. I was highly against it. Even the biggest amount of power or the highest authority couldn't be an excuse for such behavior.

"Hello! It's nice to meet you- The children of this village," I said awkwardly. "My name is Calytrix and I'm a witch on my journey just passing by your village."

"She is funny."The kids laughed.

I wasn't sure how to properly introduce myself to the kids but they seemed satisfied with me. They were happily running around me like we were already old acquaintances.

"Show us some magic. Will you?" they asked me with puppy eyes.

"Sure!"I smiled back at them.

I called forth my colorful flames and made them dance around high in the sky all around us. The kids were overjoyed. They ran and jumped to catch the flames.

 The adults in the village didn't give me such a warm welcome as their kids did

"Another witch!" I could hear disapproval."What has become of this village?" 

"All sorts of strange folk are gathering here." The adults had a lot of complaints.

I introduced myself to the villager who was the first one to stand in front of me. It was a hunched old woman who was dependent on a wooden stick. Her hair was completely white and there were many wrinkles on her face. She faced me with a very serious attitude.

"You came to examine that black thing, right?" she got straight to the point."Like the other one before you?"

She pointed at a house in the center of the village that seemed to be abandoned. The windows were closed and covered with wooden laths. Flowers and grass around it were completely withered. The facade was peeling off. I didn't feel any magic or anything out of the ordinary about it.