Broken

Lucy's POV
It's been a week since Nashi and Lukas have joined the guild and they seem to be getting along great with everyone. They've been spending most of their time with us though. We've been having secret meetings with Mavis whenever we get the chance. I guess it's our way of adjusting it everything again.

Today, Master said he had an important announcement to make. Everyone has been wondering what it is. I, personally, hope it's nothing me and my family are apart of. We don't want to draw attention to ourselves and us being apart of something important won't help us with that.

"Listen up, brats!" Master shouted from the stage. Once everyone's attention was on him, he continued. "The S-Class Trials are coming up which means it's time for me to pick this year's participants. This year, the participants are, Natsu Dragneel, Lucy Heartfillia, Gray Fullbuster, Wendy Marvell, Levy McGarden, Elfman Strauss, and Freed Justine. I hope you're all ready because we're leaving next week. So get your partner and pack! We meet at the train station at 7:00!"

While congratulations were going around, I made my way through the crowd. I suddenly felt someone grab onto my arm and drag me outside. I was about to attack them, until I saw the familiar ghost in front of me looking panicked.

"We've got a huge problem!"

Natsu's POV
I was in the middle of being congratulated by a bunch of different people when I realized I didn't have any idea who I was going to partner up with. I looked around and spotted Happy talking to Carla. I walked over and gave my signature grin.

"Hey Happy! Would you like to be my partner for the S-Class Trials?" I asked.

"Sorry Natsu but me and Carla are going on a mission that's going to last a while."

"I see. It's okay little buddy! I'll work something out."

"Don't worry Natsu. I'm sure both you and Wendy will find someone to partner up with."

I nodded and began walking around, trying to find the perfect person. I was about to give up when I saw a familiar head of pink hair in front of me. I walked up to her and dragged her outside.

"Hey Nashi? Can I ask you something?" I asked.

"Yeah sure, Dad. What is it?"

"Would you like to be my partner for the S-Class Trials?"

She looked really excited and started to jump around squealing. "Of course! I've been waiting for you to ask!"

I smiled. As long as I'm with my family, nothing is impossible. That also means, we will bear the trials!

Lucy's POV
I was walking around the guild hall, thinking about what Mavis said.

Flashback
"I've been sensing a familiar magic presence on the island."

"Who's presence?" I asked.

"It's him."
Flashback End

She sounded so panicked yet, happy at the same time. It's like she's scared of what he has become since that day all those years ago.

Flashback
We were all sitting in Mavis and Zeref's room in the cabin. Mavis had fallen gravely ill. We went to multiple doctors and their response was always the same.

"It's best just to put her out of her misery. There is no cure."

That was always the same response, but we couldn't give up. Our family had been falling apart for a while now, but never had we imagined one of us would die. We were supposed to be immortal! How is one of us dying!?

She had been like this for months now. Shallow breathing, little heartbeat, she barely ever wakes up. It called us all to see her like this but there was nothing we could do.

Zeref would stay in that room all the time. The only time he left was to use the bathroom, then, he would go right back in. This had definitely affected him the most. After she died, he was never the same. He was... Broken.
Flashback

I was so stuck in my thoughts that I hadn't even noticed Lukas dragging me outside until I heard him yelling, "Mom! MOM!"

Finally getting out of my trance, I jumped back and got into an attack stance. Seeing it was him I slowly lowered my guard and said, "What is it Lukas?"

"Are you okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"Mom, I'm no idiot. You know that better than anyone. What's going on?"

I sighed and said, "I spoke to Mavis."

"And?"

"And she says she's felt a very familiar presence on Tenrojima, the island where the S-Class Trials are taking place."

"Really? Who's is it?"

"It's his."

Luke's eyes widened. "You mean..." I nodded. "But that would mean... If we were to find him there then the council would take him immediately."

"I know. That's why we're going to keep him hidden. That's also why I'm asking you to be my partner for the trials."

He nodded. "Gladly. Anything for family."