Chapter Three

Icy water nearly paralyzed him. Dread fought in his gut, telling him to swim. Tallstar opened his mouth to let out a ear piercing yowl, only to have water fill his mouth, and into his lungs. He had to fight. Energy left his body instantly, as he tried to fight the current. Slowly, he sank. Blankness edged his vision. "Oh, Starclan... I'm sinking! I'm going to die!"  A wave of tiredness washed over Tallstar, and he relaxed. "Why is this...So... Peaceful...?" Tallstar asked himself, and closed his eyes. A vision of Jake appeared in his head. His ginger friend sat in front of him, his green eyes glistening. 

Tallstar snapped into reality, feeling a sharp pain in his back, as he opened his eyes. Something was pulling him out of the water. Tallstar could see the blackness that edged his vision clearly, now. Finally, he broke the surface of the water. Tallstar gasped, and eyed the cat who pulled him out. The cat was a big, bulky white cat, with sharp yellow eyes. They soon reached the bank.  "Tallstar?" The white massive cat asked. Everything blurred Tallstar's vision, and he blacked out.

Tallstar opened his eyes, flashing around the warm den he was in. He coughed, and sat up. He could feel the pain in his hind leg, and looked down to see it swollen. "Hello, Tallstar." A hard, old, raspy voice came from the other side of the den. Tallstar looked up to see Goosefeather padding over to the nest he was in, to check his leg. "Goosefeather, where am I?" Tallstar asked, his voice raspy. "You're in the Thunderclan medicine den, Tallstar." Goosefeather replied. Tallstar shook his head; "Thunderclan?" Tallstar echoed. 

Tallstar's eyes widened, for a moment, before he got up. Just as he gotten up, a nagging pain split into his hind leg, and he plopped down, to lick it. "You've seemed to have hurt your leg... In the River...." Goosefeather mewed, curiosity and questionibility in his voice. "What were you doing in the river? Trying to go to Starclan?!" Goosefeather  sharply hissed not waiting for an answer. The his caused Tallstar to snap his head to look at him. "You could have died..." Goosefeather spat, finished. Suddenly, Pinestar walked into the den.

Pinestar eyed Tallstar, respect in his eyes. "Hello, Tallstar." Pinestar mewed. "Hello, Pinestar" Tallstar replied back, respect in his voice. 

"My warriors said that they founded you, half drowning in the river." Pinestar mewed

"Indeed, they did." Tallstar replied back

"Why were you in the river?"

"I was simply trying to cross"

"Why were you trying to get to the other side of the river?"

"Because, I'm on a quest."

Pinestar eyed him, further. "A quest?" He questioned. "Yes, a quest." Tallstar replied back, sensing that the conversation was getting awkward. "Yes, well, I simply must be on my way." Tallstar mewed, trying to wrap up the conversation. "Well, let my warriors escort you to the river. You may be a fox's tail length away from Thunderclan's territory." Pinestar murmured, his tail flicked. "Thank you, Pinestar. I shall be well on my way." Tallstar murrowed, getting up. Pinestar walked out of the Medicine den, with Tallstar, and to the Bramble barrier path. "Whitestorm, take Longpaw, Mousepaw, and Larkshine." Pinestar nodded. 

The cats padded up to Tallstar, dipping their heads in respect. "Take care, Tallstar!" Pinestar meowed, as the patrol began to walk off. "Thank you, Pinestar, and you too!" Tallstar replied, without looking back. 

The walk to the river was long, and hard. Tallstar kept tripping over brambles, and small tree roots. "Where is the open sky? How do they run in this?"  Tallstar asked to himself, in his head. They all finally reached the river, and the patrol nodded, said their goodbyes, and headed back to the clan.

Once again, Tallstar was alone. 

**Just for all of you, a extra long chapter! Hope you like! ^^