23

Patrick's pov

"W-what?" My hands shook. Tears welled in my eyes. This can't be happening. They just told me during their attempt to save Laslo and Erika..... My own son was killed.
Declan. Sweet innocent Declan who hasn't even had a burn. Dead.
"It gets worse." Ruby frowned.
"How can it possibly get any worse?" I growled.
"Erika had a burn." Andy put in.
"She's 12 though," I rasped "That means she's about as powerful as Laslo."
"The thing is... she set fire to her room. She's burnt real bad." Joe muttered.
It's true. Fireflies can get burned if they're on fire long enough. She must have been burning for minutes.
I couldn't help but let a tear escape my eye. Erika is all o have left and I feel I should protect her with my life. She shouldn't be in this much pain either. She doesn't deserve this. We shouldn't have adopted her. She would have lived a slightly normal life.
"God I hope she's okay." I rasped.

------Erikas pov 2 days later------

I woke to see Elsa and Ruby sitting next to me. That must mean at least Andy and Joe were here. Everything stung. Pain was all that I felt.
"Well, I sure am glad to see those pretty brown eyes." Ruby giggled.
I bit my lip. I wanted to smile but I couldn't. Pain stretched across my face. "Yeah," I winced.
The door knob turned. There was Patrick, followed by Andy, Joe, and Pete.
I couldn't smile. God damn it I wish I could.
Patrick smiled. He looked sad though. There was also a hint of pride on his face. I'm guessing that they told him about Declan, but I think they also told him about my burn. Thus the pride.
Pete kept glancing over his shoulder. Why? Were they back?