Chapter 10: Trip Back to the Mainland

Arda walked in Jade's room to find her packing a bag with Talon waiting with his own packed bag.

"I miss something" Arda asked, puzzled by their preparations.

"Aunt Kendra said that she was locking down the city until after the solstice" Jade explained. "I am going to the mainland to mediate in an attempt to meet the Guardian of Wind before I loose the opportunity for good."

"I'm going to watch over her while she mediates in case of an ambush" Talon added.

"Just be sure to make your way back here before sunset in three days" Arda warned.

"Connecting with the Guardian is my top priority" Jade said. "We are prepared for the possibility of being locked out of the city."

"You're really determined to find Gale" Arda noted, using the Guardian's real name.

"Can't be helped" Jade added on, "I thought I had a hand on wind but I can create a few gusts at best. Earth and Fire came so naturally to me but now I have hit a wall. I need help, I need Gale."

"Then I will go with you" Arda declared.

"No offense, mom, but I don't want you to come."

"Jade isn't going to always have you, her father, or even Saje to have her back" Talon explained. "I know that there will come a time when it will only be the two of us."

"What about your sister" Arda questioned, her curiosity visible on her face.

"I would hope that she would have better things to do, like raising her son" Talon said, a hint of annoyance at his sister was not unnoticed.

"Alright then" Arda said. "Be careful and take care of each other."

Arda left the room as Jade continued to pack.

***

A few hours later Jade and Talon found themselves back on the mainland heading into the forest.

"So what's going on with Serenity" Jade asked. "Both you and her husband seem to be upset with her."

"She just had a child and left him with someone she barely knew to go on a quest for vengeance" Talon explained. "Even now she insists on fighting instead of being a mother."

"I mean did she even plan on having kids" Jade asked.

Talon stopped for moment. "That's not really the point" he said. "She has a child now."

"I can't speak for her but as a girl who is about her age I  can say that if I found myself with a child unexpectedly it would be a bit of an adjustment. Serenity didn't even have a full nine months of carrying a child to come to terms with it. Her egg hatched  five and a half months after the fact. Maybe she doesn't want to be forced into a position where she is responsible for the child, maybe she thinks that someone else is more qualified to raise him."

Talon looked at Jade as he registered everything she said. She had a point, he was unfairly passing judgment on his sister for circumstances that she didn't really have control over. In fact he seemed to remember that when growing up she never liked the idea of being a mother. Was it right for anyone to force her into such a role?

"You never cease to amaze me" Talon said. "I can't believe I never even thought about it like that..."

"Glad you understand" Jade said with a smile.

"What about you" Talon asked.

"What about me" Jade repeated, confused by his meaning.

"Do you ever want to have kids?"

Jade stared at him as if he asked her for the secret to all of existence.

Do I want kids she asked herself. All of a sudden she realized that this was something that she never actually thought about. She was so focused on a life of adventure when she lived in Cresalda and after she was so focused on her mission and the prophecy.

Now she was presented with something that probably scared her as much as the coming Day of Destiny.... If she were to survive what kind of future would she actually want for herself?