Chapter 13: Seaside Conflict

As Jade made her way back to the beach with Talon she felt somewhat defeated. How was she to be peaceful with everything she was up against?

"I think Gale is right" Talon added in. "You're putting too much pressure on yourself. I think you stand a much better chance if you took a step back; you can't do everything."

"I just find it hard when there is danger lurking around every corner" Jade debated.

"I think you're overreacting" Talon said as they exited the forest.

Staring out at the beach Talon and Jade saw Xaug, Syvix, and Galof standing over the unconscious body of the gatekeeper. They turned their attention to the arrival of Jade and Talon, reading themselves for a fight.

"Totally Overreacting" Jade replied to Talon with a heavy dose of sarcasm. 

Syvix and Xaug charged at Jade and Talon as Galof guarded the closed portal. Jade threw sand at Xaug before hitting him with a rock made from more sand. Xaug shot a spell at her and threw her backwards into a rock. Syvix shot a spell at Talon who ducked under it and blew a wall of fire in Syvix's face. Not missing a beat he then proceeded to trip Syvix to the ground before taking off into the sky in his dragon form before slamming back down onto Syvix. He stood up to find Syvix struggling to get back up, his breathing labored.

"Why" Talong demanded of Syvix.

"Why what" Syvix asked, unaware of what Talon wanted.

"Why did you choose me" he asked. "Why force me to be your target for the memory prison."

"I didn't" Syvix responded, "I was actually after your sister, who is a much more capable fighter than you. In the end I got stuck with you- something that always annoyed me because you were essentially useless. You didn't have the same potential as her nor her incredible skill in archery, one that could rival the Demon Archer himself."

Talon kicked Syvix back to the ground and drew his sword up to Syvix's throat. "You ruined my life" Talon asserted, his eyes a flicker of a red glow to them.

"Your life wasn't even worth ruining" Syvix replied, deadpan.

Talon raised his sword high ready to strike with all his anger when he was knocked to the ground by a spell from Xaug. Xaug approached him leaving a barely conscious Jade on the ground behind him. He raised his scepter to Talon reading a powerful spell with full intent to kill.

Jade looked up to see Xaug standing over Talon, ready to kill him. She tried to get up but her body unable to respond due to fatigue. She saw her sword on the ground in front of her, out of her reach and knew she would not have the energy to do anything to stop Xaug.

Jade sat in a cave as the pitter-patter of the rain outside left a soft calming feeling as she looked into the Amber eyes of Talon. "I'm good with the bad if it has lead me to something this good." Her chest tightened as she felt a sense of peace when she kissed Talon.

Jade reached out her hand in a desperate attempt to reach out to Talon. She screamed his name as loud as she could but all she could hear was silence and the frantic beating of her own heart. A bolt of silver energy shot out of her hand as it hit Xaug, sending him flying.

As Xaug got back up to his feet he saw that his scepter had fallen from his grip and was laying on the ground next to Talon. He charged for his scepter as Talon stood up and punched him in the face, throwing Xaug flying.

Everyone on the beach stared in disbelief at what just happened- Talon punched Xaug. Xaug who was supposed to be protected by the prophecy from everyone but Jade was punched by Talon. Everything seemed to be frozen in time, the sheer shock of what had transpired keeping everyone from moving a muscle.

The gateway opened to reveal Hendok, with a curse mark on his forehead, and Vex walking through to the noticeable shock of everyone on the beach. Regaining a sense of awareness Xaug picked up his scepter and left along with Syvix, Galof, Vex, and a cursed Hendok into the woods.

As Talon walked over to Jade she felt like she has more energy than she did moments prior and got up on her own.

The two of them stood together still trying to process what just happened.

If Talon was able to hurt Xaug than maybe there was a way to circumvent the protecting he was given by the prophecy. Despite seeing a key ally and friend fall into the control of the enemy they couldn't help but feel like this was their biggest victory yet.