Chapter 16: Settling The Conflicts of a Loving Family

Jade rushed through the halls frantically trying to find her mother. She felt so violated knowing what she now knew about the crown. She came across her mother leaving a room to see her looking frantic.

"What's wrong" Arda asked.

"Why didn't you tell me about the crown" Jade demanded.

Jade suddenly felt an incredibly powerful emotion that brought tears to her eyes. She could feel the heartbreak of her mother so strongly that it was overwhelming her empathic abilities. She dropped to the ground crying heavily, trying to keep her focus on her mother.

"I was afraid" she said in a soft voice. "Afraid of exactly this. Afraid that the truth about the crown would forever drive you and your father away from me. You have every right to hate me for all the suffering I've inflicted."

"I don't hate you" Jade said, trying to steady her breath, fighting off the tears. "I understand the position you were in, I just wanted to know why you didn't trust me enough to tell me the truth."

Jade could feel the overpowering heartbreak go away almost instantly. She looked up to see her mother smiling as tears rolled down her face.

"I have spent my life creating spells, enchantments, weapons all for the sake of making the world a better place" Arda said, a heavy not of pride in her voice, "Buy you are by far the best thing I've brought into this world."

******

Xaug sat his his chair looking at his scepter. He couldn't stop thinking about what happened on the beach.

"I'm not Invincible" He said at long last. Syvix and Galof watching him carefully. "I've been such an idiot this whole time. I thought the prophecy protected me, but now I know that not only Jade survive but the possibility exists that she isn't my only weakness."

"So what is your decision" Syvix asked.

"I don't know" Xaug replied. "On the one hand we have all the pieces in play to get the last crystal, but on the other would it really matter?"

"Yes" Galof said.

"How can you be so sure" Xaug questioned him.

"This isn't about you" He replied. "Our mission is what matters. We need that last crystal to get you to full power so that we can carry out our real goal."

"Lucifer" Syvix concluded. "He needs to be stopped at any cost- especially now that with Vex by his side he's grown more powerful. I believe in you."

***********

 Serenity found herself sitting alone in a room as a knock was heard at the door. Talon proceeded to walk in and sit in front of her.

"I owe you an apology" Talon said.

"What for" Serenity asked.

"Ash. I've been guilty of putting expectations on you as a mother without realizing it. You didn't ask for this, and to treat you the way I have been is unfair to say the least."

Serenity smiled. "Once this whole thing with Xaug is over I'm giving up this life" She said. "I need to be there for my child- he's the future of our race."

"What about me" Talon asked.

"I have this feeling that you won't be around to help" She said turning to him with a smile. "Jade is where your future lies."

Talon looked away, blushing slightly.

"She's had an impact on you" Serenity continued. "You used to be so full of hate but now... now you seem happier. I want you to make me a Promise."

"Anything" Talon said.

"Be happy with her when this is all over. Live your life and not the one you feel compelled to live."

"I promise."