Chapter 12: Losing the Long Game

Kendra and Gremdar sat playing a game of chess in Kendra's room. It was her turn but she seemed to be staring blankly at the keyboard.

"Something wrong sis" Gremdar asked.

"I'm not sure" She said. "I mean I'm glad we got Vex without a fight but the more I think about it the more it seems like that was intentional."

"How so" Gremdar asked.

"He's spent years staying on my good side, very calculating with every move he made" she said, staring at the chessboard like it held answers. "Why would he give up so easily" she wondered aloud.

"Probably because he knew Jade had the crown" Gremdar suggested.

Kendra's eyes widened in pure shock upon hearing this. She stood up so fast that she knocked the table over scattering the pieces. "She has the WHAT?!" She demanded in a frenzied state.

"The crown" Gremdar repeated. "The enchantment that King Faus had" He continued.

Kendra looked like she was sick to her stomach. She thought for a moment. "Was there anything Jade would have had on her person when she came to the city, anything of Value? Something that the enemy would know she was in possession of?"

"Like the Dark One's Crystal she wore around her neck" Gremdar said, dreading the conclusion she was drawing.

"We need to get to Vex NOW!"

********

Kendra and Gremdar ran into the dungeon to find Vex's Cell empty. Kendra turned around to leave finding herself face-to-face with Hendok.

"Hendok" Kendra asked in a frenzy "Where is Vex?"

"I don't know" Hendok said. "Let's split up to look for him" He suggested turning around to head out the dungeon.

"Wait" Gremdar called to him. "Could you remove that wrapping from your forehead" He asked, his tone full of suspicion. "Or would you need Syvix to order it first?"

Hendok chuckled. "You're smart" He said facing them. "Unfortunately I was told to not kill either of you so Galof could have his revenge against Kendra but you'd be surprised how much you could live through." He turned to Kendra, "It is such a shame you're not as good at playing the long game as you thought" He taunted her. "It's a shame Zefor had to suffer for your incompetence."

******

As Vex finished the ritual to bind the Dark One's Crystal to Zefor he heard an explosion in the distance.

We need to leave Hendok said in Vex's head. Our Cover has been blown.

Vex took a look at Zefor's body knowing that he couldn't move him so soon after the ritual. Since there was already plans for an invasion on the solstice he new that he had to cut his losses for now and have Zefor collected then. He walked out of the room, a smile on his face, knowing that despite the hiccups in the plan he had still managed to best Kendra. His victory was assured knowing full well that his threats would come to pass. 

Atlantis was doomed without him.