Chapter 14: The Future of Atlantis

After Jade and Talon had made it back into the city Arda locked down the portal with extra guards watching over it. It wasn't long before they caught each other up on what had happened. Arda giving Jade a run down of how she discovered Gremdar and Kendra unconscious, assumed to be out for a few days with the hit they sustained while Saje watched over them. She also mentioned how Zefor was discovered by one of the guards, a victim of Vex's with the Dark One marged to his being.

"I should have noticed the crystal was missing sooner" Jade cursed herself. "This is all my fault."

"You already have a lot going on" Arda argued, "You can't carry this burden as well. Vex was the one responsible for this outcome."

"And Hendok was the third and final Memory Prison victim" Talon noted.

"Wait, is that why I can't find Hendok" Arda asked. "How do you know."

"Saw the mark on his forehead when he left with Vex" Talon explained. "I also found out that Syvix never intended for me to be cursed, it was Serenity he wanted."

"Well I guess taking a look on the bright side is the fact that Zefor is able to keep the Dark One from taking control of his body" Arda said. "That staff I made is enough to keep the Dark One at bay. I hope you have some better news" Arda finished hopefully.

"I've met Gale and learned why I have had such a hard time with wind" Jade explained. "He's already added his energy to the sword. However there is a bigger development to  discuss."

"I punched Xaug" Talon said with a casual tone despite the huge development it was.

"That's impossible" Arda declared. "The prophecy-"

"Failed him" Talon added. "We now know that he is not all powerful- there's a way to stop him without Jade's power as the Chosen One. We just need to recreate how it happened, what that spell she used was."

"I didn't use a spell" Jade added. "It was just what I was feeling- like when I suppressed Syvix's power. But this time it was different... I had no intention of using magic and I felt more energized after the fact."

"The raw emotion of energy" Arda declared. "You must have tapped into that most pure aspect of the element."

"What is it" Jade asked.

"All I know is that it is supposed to be an emotion that encompases all the others used for the elements at their most fundamental level" Arda explained. "I never figured out what it was and Krystal, to this day, refuses to tell me."

"So if I could recreate that emotion" Jade wondered, "I could recreate that spell I used!"

"Hopefully" Arda concluded. "I recommend you look over as much as you can in the library- if nothing else you could learn a few new things to help you in the upcoming battles. My pitiful collection of books at Cresalda was nothing compared to the vast amounts of knowledge you can gain from these books."

Jade nodded, excited about the prospect of learning new things.

"What aren't you saying" Talon demanded of Arda.

"The city is not safe" Arda said. "I've locked down as much as I could but Vex knows too much about the portal and all the nuances to make it work. He will be back and we can't stop that I expect a massive invasion for the Winter Solstice."

"Because he struck a deal with Xaug to get the crystal" Talon pieced together.

"The Crystal is kept safe with a powerful protection spell that drops at sunrise on the solstice to sunset" Arda explained. "We don't have the forces to protect it here in the city and we can't leave for reinforcements without compromising the lockdown. Meanwhile with Galof's power that can create as big as an army as they need, fighting would result in a massive blow to out numbers."

"Then we don't fight" Jade said.

"What about the crystal" Talon asked. "That's the last one they need- you can't let them have it!"

"We will take the crystal ourselves and retreat from the city" Jade answered.

"But the fail safe is keeping the city afloat" Talon said.

"She knows that" Arda said, realizing where Jade was headed. "In order to protect the crystal..."

"Atlantis must fall" Jade concluded.