Narnian Looking

CHAPTER 2 

CHAPTER 2 

(3rd Person POV)

Edmund and Lucy have been waiting to return to Narnia, but have had to get on with their lives. Peter and Susan went to America with their parents, leaving Lucy and Edmund in their Aunt and Uncle's care. Which means they were left with their annoying cousin Eustace. As of right now, Lucy was carrying the groceries while looking for Edmund, who was trying to get drafted into the army.

"Are you sure you're 18?" The recruiter asks Edmund.

"Why, do I look older?" Edmund asks him back. The recruiter holds his hand out for Edmunds identification, which Edmund happily gives him.

"Alberta Scrubb?" The recruiter asks as he reads the name.

"That's a typographical error. It's supposed to be Albert A. Scrubb," Edmund explains. Lucy had finally found Edmund.

"Edmund..." Lucy calls out and Edmund turns to look at her. "you're supposed to be helping me with the groceries."

"Better luck next time, eh, squirt?" The guy in line behind Edmund says. Edmund and Lucy then walk outside. Edmund takes the groceries from Lucy.

"Squirt? He barely had two years on me. I'm a king! I've fought wars and I've led armies," Edmund rants.

"Not in this world," Lucy reminds him.

"Yeah, instead I'm stuck here, doing battle with Eustace Clarence Scrubb. If anyone so deserved a name," Edmund says as he ties the groceries onto the bike. Edmund looks back up to find Lucy tucking her hair behind her ear. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing," Lucy says as she looks back to Edmund. "Come on then." Lucy quickly grabs the bike and they head back to their Aunt and Uncle's house. "I'm home. Hello!" Lucy and Edmund walk inside. "Hello, Uncle Harold. I tried to find some carrots but all they had were turnips again. Shall I start making soup?" Lucy gets no answer from her Uncle as he continues to read his paper. "Aunt Alberta's on her way home. Uncle Harold?" Edmund decides to stick his tongue out at his Uncle.

"Father. Edmund's making faces at you," Eustace calls out and Edmund turns to find him on the stairs. Eustace then shoots a spitball at Edmund and hits him in the neck.

"Why, you little..." Edmund says as he goes running up the stairs after Eustace.

"Father, he's gonna hit me!" Eustace calls out as he cowers down.

"Edmund, look! It's from Susan," Lucy says as she walks over with a letter. Edmund and Lucy then go up to Lucy's room. "I do wish you were here with us. It's been such an adventure, but nothing like our times in Narnia. America is very exciting except we never see Father. He works so very hard. I was invited to the British Consul's tea party this week by a naval officer, who happens to be very handsome. I think he fancies me. It seems the Germans have made the crossing difficult right now. Times are hard. Mother hopes you both won't mind another few months in Cambridge." Lucy reads. "Another few months? How will we survive?"

"You're lucky. At least you've got your own room. I'm stuck with mullet mouth," Edmund says as he takes the letter from Lucy.

"Susan and Peter are the lucky ones. Off on adventures," Lucy says as she walks over to her mirror.

"Yeah, they're the eldest and we're the youngest. We don't matter as much," Edmund says as he looks at the letter.

"Do you think I look anything like Susan?" Lucy asks as she stares at her reflection.

"Lucy, have you seen this ship before?" Edmund asks as he looks at the painting on the wall.

"Yes," Lucy answers as she turns to look at the painting as well. "It's very Narnian-looking, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Just another reminder that we're here and not there," Edmund says.

"There once were two orphans," Eustace says from the doorway, making Lucy and Edmund turn to him. "who wasted their time believing in Narnian nursery rhymes."

"Please let me hit him," Edmund says as he goes toward Eustace.

"No!" Lucy says as she tugs on Edmund's arm stopping him.

"Don't you ever knock?" Edmund asks Eustace.

"It's my house. I'll do as I please. You're just guests," Eustace answers him, as he goes to sit on Lucy's bed. Lucy and Edmund had turned back to the painting. "What's so fascinating about that picture anyway? It's hideous."

"You won't see it from the other side of the door," Edmund says.

"Edmund, it looks like the water is actually moving," Lucy says.

"What rubbish! See? That's what happens when you read all those fanciful novels and fairy tales of yours," Eustace says.

"There once was a boy called Eustace who read books full of facts that were useless," Edmund says causing Lucy to smile.

"People who read fairy tales are always the sort who become a hideous burden to people like me who read books with real information," Eustace says making Edmund turn to look at him.

"'Hideous burden'?" Edmund asks him. Edmund walks towards Eustace causing him to stand and back away. "I haven't seen you lift a finger since we've been here." Eustace tries to open the door but Edmund slams it shut. "I have a mind to tell your father you stole Aunt Alberta's sweets."

"Liar!" Eustace says.

"Oh, really?" Edmund asks.

"Edmund, the painting," Lucy says trying to get his attention as the painting started to leak water and blow air.

"I found them under your bed, and you know what? I licked every one of them," Edmund says ignoring Lucy.

"Ugh! I'm infected with you!" Eustace says. The painting starts spraying out more water which gains Edmund and Eustace's attention. "What's going on here?"

"Lucy, do you think...?" Edmund asks her.

"It's some kind of trick! Stop it or I'll tell mother," Eustace says before running for the door. "Mother!Mother!" The door wouldn't open. "I'll just smash the rotten thing." Eustace runs and grabs the painting off the wall.

"No, Eustace! No!" Edmund says as he and Lucy grab Eustace.

"We can't stop it!" Lucy says as they start to fight over the painting.

"Get off me! Get off!" Eustace says.

"Let go of it, Eustace! Put it down!" Lucy orders him. "Get off it! Let go!" They all drop the painting into the water as more water starts coming out of the painting. Lucy, Edmund, and Eustace are pulled under the water as the room fills. Lucy sees a light and starts swimming towards it with the others following.