Nightmares

CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9

(Athena POV)

For the past few days, Lucy, Gael, and I have been confined to the cabins. There was a terrible storm outside and Caspian would not let me help no matter how much I argued. I suppose I was thankful for it since I still really didn't like swimming after the whole river incident when I saved Lucy. I was finally allowed out of the cabin and into the study when needed to discuss what to do next.

"So we're stuck here at half-rations, with food and water for two more weeks, maximum. This is your last chance to turn back, your Majesties," Drinian explains. Caspian and I look at each other before back at Drinian. "There's no guarantee we'll spot the Blue Star anytime soon. Not in this storm." The ship shakes really bad and out of instinct I reach out to grab something. I feel something my hand and realize that I had grabbed Caspian's hand which causes me to blush as he gives me a reassuring smile. "Needle in a haystack, trying to find this Ramandu place. We could sail right past it and off the edge of the world."

"Or get eaten by a sea serpent," Edmund says.

"I'm just saying the men are getting nervous. These are strange seas we're sailing the likes of which I've never seen before," Drinian says and I can't help but think about Rhince and Gael.

"Then perhaps, Captain, you would like to be the one to explain to Mr. Rhince..." I begin as I make my way over to the desk. I almost fall before I feel a hand on my back and realize that Caspian had followed me. "that we're abandoning the search for his family."

"I'll get back to it," Drinian says as he grabs his coat. "Just a word of warning. The sea can play nasty tricks on the crew's mind. Very nasty." He then goes back outside. Edmund grabs his coat and follows him. I see Caspian looking down at the map with a sad look.

"Caspian," I say softly as I rest my hand on his shoulder causing him to look at me. "We'll figure this out. We always do. The storm will pass. Just have to believe in each other and have hope." Caspian nods as he grabs my hand. I could tell that he was exhausted. "You should get some rest. You've been helping the crew all day."

"They still need help," Caspian argues.

"Then I can help them," I say.

"No. I'm fine," Caspian says. "You should get some rest." Caspian presses a kiss to my forehead before grabbing his coat and disappearing outside. My forehead tingles where he kissed me, my cheeks are burning, and I have a big smile on my face. I decide to do as told and get some rest.

(Caspian POV)

As I'm sleeping I start to dream of my father.

"Father! Father..." I say. My father kept saying horrible things about me. That I would never be worthy of someone like Athena. That she would never love me. I jerk awake to find Lucy sitting with Edmund.

"I can't sleep," Lucy says.

"Let me guess. Bad dreams," Edmund says. "So either we're all going mad or something is playing with our minds."

"Where's Athena?" I ask before a scream is heard. I quickly run up to the cabins and find Athena rolling around in the bed.

"No! No. No. No. No!" Athena calls out. I rush over to her side.

"Athena. Athena, wake up," I say as I start shaking her. "Athena!" She jerks awake as she sits upright.

"Caspian," She breathes out as tears start flowing from her eyes. "You're alive." She wraps her arms around my neck as she sobs.

"It's okay. I'm right here. It's okay," I tell her as I rub circles on her back.

(Athena POV)

I found myself in the How before it was destroyed. I see Peter standing in front of the ice wall of the White Witch.

"Peter?" I ask.

"How could you love him and not me?" Peter asks me as he glares to Caspian who is lying on the floor.

"Peter, you know I..." I try to explain.

"It doesn't matter, now," Peter says as he grabs hands with the White Witch. The White Witch was back. She knocked me to the side.

"Athena!" Caspian calls out as he tries to fight the White Witch. The White Witch just slings him to the side.

"Looks like it's time for the Angel of Narnia to die, along with their hope," The White Witch says. I can't help but look to Caspian to make sure he is okay. The White Witch notices. "Love is such a weak thing. Hold her." Peter grabs me by the arms as she walks over to Caspian. "I'll kill him instead and let you suffer because it would be your fault he died."

"No. Please don't," I say as tears come to my eyes. The White Witch then stabs Caspian. I'm able to fight Peter off of me before I run over to Caspian. "No!" I put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding.

"I love you," Caspian says before taking his last breath.

"No! No. No. No. No!" I call out.

"Athena. Athena, wake up," I hear as someone starts shaking me. "Athena!" I jerk awake and sit up. I look and find Caspian sitting beside me.

"Caspian," I breathe out as tears start flowing from my eyes. "You're alive." I quickly wrap my arms around his neck, afraid that he is going to disappear, as I sob.

"It's okay. I'm right here. It's okay," Caspian says as he rubs soothing circles on my back. Caspian didn't leave my side until we saw sunlight and the storm had stopped.