The Final Goodbye

CHAPTER 16

CHAPTER 16

(Athena POV)

"Welcome, children. You have done well. Very well indeed. You have come far, and now your journey is at its end," Aslan says.

"Is this your country?" Lucy asks.

"No, my country lies beyond," Aslan answers.

"Is my father in your country?" Caspian asks.

"You can only find that out for yourself, my son," Aslan answers. "But you should know that if you continue there is no return." Aslan glances at me. Caspian then walks forward. Caspian touches the water before turning back around with tears in his eyes.

"You're not going?" Edmund asks.

"I can't imagine my father would be very proud that I gave up what he died for," Caspian answers. I walk over to him and hug him. "I spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not what was given. I was given a kingdom. A people." Caspian then looks down at me. "A Queen." I smile at him. Caspian then walks over to Aslan. "I promise to be a better king."

"You already are," Aslan says. "Children."

"I think perhaps it's time we went home actually, Lu," Edmund says.

"But I thought you loved it here," Lucy says.

"I do. But I love home and our family as well. They need us," Edmund says. Reepicheep clears his throat before walking forward.

"Your Eminence," Reepicheep says before bowing to Aslan. "Ever since I can remember, I have dreamt of seeing your country. I've had many great adventures in this world but nothing has dampened that yearning. I know I am hardly worthy but with your permission, I would lay down my sword for the joy of seeing your country with my own eyes."

"My country was made for noble hearts such as yours no matter how small their bearers be," Aslan says.

"Your Majesties," Reepicheep says as he bows to Caspian and me.

"No one could be more deserving," I say.

"Well, I..." Reepicheep goes to say.

"It's true," Edmund says. They bow to each other. Lucy walks forward and bends in front of Reepicheep.

"May I?" Lucy asks.

"Well, I suppose. Just this..." Reepicheep goes to answer. Lucy picks him up in a hug. "Goodbye, Lucy." Eustace walks forward to Reepicheep after Lucy backs away. "Don't cry."

"I don't understand. Will I not see you again? Ever?" Eustace asks.

"What a magnificent puzzle you are, and a true hero. It has been my honor to fight beside such a brave warrior and a great friend," Reepicheep says before bowing to Eustace. Reepicheep runs towards the wave where there is a small boat waiting. "I won't be needing this." Reepicheep stabs his sword into the ground before taking off over the wave.

"This is our last time here, isn't it?" Lucy asks.

"Yes. You have grown up, my dear one. Just like Peter and Susan," Aslan answers and I feel tears come to my eyes.

"Will you visit us in our world?" Lucy asks.

"I shall be watching you, always," Aslan answers.

"How?" Lucy asks.

"In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason you were brought to Narnia. That by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there," Aslan explains.

"Will we meet again?" Lucy asks.

"Yes, dear one. One day," Aslan answers before letting out a roar. The water divides creating a cave.

"You're the closest thing I have to family," Caspian says as they walk over to us. "And that includes you, Eustace."

"Thank you," Eustace says,

"The same goes for me," I say as I pull Eustace into a hug while Caspian hugs Edmund. Caspian then hugs Lucy while I hug Edmund. "You're like my brother, you know that right?" Edmund nods as he starts to cry. Edmund walks over to Aslan as I pull Lucy into a hug. "You are my sister. Don't let the others forget about our wonderful adventures here in Narnia, especially Susan and Peter." Lucy nods before running over to hug Aslan. I step back and Caspian wraps an arm around my waist.

"Will I come back?" Eustace asks as Aslan comes to stand beside me and Caspian.

"Narnia may yet have need of you," Aslan answers him. They walk into the tunnel of water before looking back one last time. The water then closes around them. "So, I'm to assume that there will be a wedding when you return home?" Caspian and I look at each other and smile.

"Yes, I believe so. If she'll have me," Caspian answers.

"Of course, I will," I say with a smile. "Will you be there?"

"Of course, my child," Aslan answers. A month later Caspian and I were married.