Chapter 11: Until You Come Back To Me

Song Inspiration: Until You Come Back To Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do) by Aretha Franklin (originally recorded by Stevie Wonder)

Sam hadn't talked to Mercedes since yesterday, when she cried in his arms. A smile lit his eyes realizing he didn't feel bad about the fact he held her once again. But just as soon as the smile came, it left. All because of Shane's hold and her guilt. She felt that she needed to stay with him out of obligation. Not because she truly loved him. Or that they were meant to be together. Or even the fact that he's all she thinks about and that he takes up all of her heart. Nope, none of those things ring true for Shane. Sam knew that he had to be all of that. He just needed the proof. More like he needed her confirmation on it.

He sighed as he waited until it was early evening before he drove to her home. He knew that her parents were gone to the movies. She was home alone and feeling depressed about it all. He grabbed his guitar and got out of the truck before he headed up to the front door.

Sam started to ring the bell when he knew she would just push him away. She would even tell him some excuse on why she should be alone. He shook his head as he knew the song he chose was a perfect fit for this situation they were in right now. He walked backward until he was in the middle of the front yard. He strapped on his guitar and began to play before he started to sing the first verse.

Though you don't call anymore
I sit and wait in vain
I guess I'll rap on your door
Tap on your window pane

Mercedes was on her bed, hugging her pillow as she silently cried when she took a pause from sobbing to hear faint singing. She couldn't help but smile through her tears as she remembered it was day eleven. She hurried to the window and opened it. There she saw on the front lawn was Sam singing an old school ballad to her.

I want to tell you Baby
The changes I've been going through
Missing you.
Listen you
'till you come back to me
That's what I'm gonna do

Sam looked up as he saw her lean against the window sill. She watched him as she reached back inside and grabbed some tissues. Mercedes wiped the tears as she focused on Sam singing to her. Sam nodded his head towards the door, hoping she would get what he was trying to tell her. She understood as she left the window and rushed out of the room. She headed downstairs to the front door and opened it as she saw Sam was now at the threshold. He stood face to face with her as he continued to sing the words to her.

Why did you have to decide
You had to set me free
I'm gonna swallow my pride
I'm gonna beg you to (please baby please) see me
I'm gonna walk by myself
Just to prove that my love is true
Oh, for you baby

'till you come back to me
That's what I'm gonna do

Mercedes began to silently cry again as she focused on Sam and the words he was singing to her. He continued to play his guitar and sing to her as he felt his heart hurt for her. He never wanted her in pain, but he couldn't help being in love with her. She's part of him and he can't let her go. Not without a fight. He had three more days to get her to see what they have is stronger than either of them. It's stronger than anyone around them.

Living for you my dear
Is like living in a world of constant fear
In my plea, I've got to make you see
That our love is dying

Mercedes wiped her eyes with the tissues as she was tired of fighting her feelings for him. The only thing he's done wrong was being in love with her. They fell in love with each other over the summer and if she was honest with herself, there was nothing wrong with that. She knew that her feelings for Shane were just loneliness and loyalty. Not love. And not in any way she should care for him. The feelings she had and still have for Sam should have been for Shane. But it was never meant to be. Only one guy had her heart and her mind and he was standing here right before her.

Although your phone you ignore
Somehow I must explain
I'm gonna rap on your door
Tap on your window pane
I'm gonna camp on your step
Until I get through to you
I've got to change your view baby
'till you come back to me
That's what I'm gonna do

Sam finished the song as he let his fingers slide off the last string before he removed the guitar and placed it at his side. "Would you like to come in?" She asked him. Sam shook his head as he reached out with his free hand and caressed the last few tears from her cheeks. "We have three more days. And remember you will help me sing a song for glee on the next to the last day. Then Valentine's day is my last day. I have one more shot, then I will promise to leave you alone. Forever. I won't ever bother you again." He told her softly as he let his green eyes lock onto her sparkling brown ones. "I gotta go. Night, Mercedes." He told her as he let his hand leave her face before he turned and walked away.

Mercedes stood there and watched him get in the truck before he drove away. As she watched the truck's tail lights start to fade in the dark, she gave a sigh. "Sam, don't ever promise to leave me alone. I don't think I could ever not see or have you in my life. I love you."