Chapter 14: Love Letter

Song Inspiration: Love Letter (cover)sung by Wesley Aguilar and Jim Brickman's Valentine sung by Erik Santos (originally sung by Martina McBride )

(Feb 06, 2012,A/N) : There were two songs that I was trying to choose from, but couldn't. I even had some people vote on which song was best. Not too many votes, but the votes I did get, I chose that song for the title chapter song. But the other song is just as good, so this chapter will have two songs. Thank you for reading and liking this story. Happy Valentine's Day.

Mercedes walked through the school's main hallway as she felt the butterflies zip through her body. She couldn't wait to find out what Sam had planned for today's song. The final day for this two week Valentine's day gift he's given her. She looked around at all Valentine's day decorations and the couples who chatted closely. She watched the smiles and laughs they shared, while others bravely walked up to their intended Valentine with a gift of some sort.

She glanced at her phone to see she was actually early. Mercedes wondered if he was going to wait until later or before school ended. Or would he surprise her in Glee? A smile hit her lips as she thought that maybe he may want to wait until they were alone this evening at her house. She stepped up to her locker as she wasn't sure where Sam was. Mercedes focused on opening her locker as she decided to mentally calm herself down. She would just have to wait until whenever it was going to happen.

She opened her locker and came face to face with a note hanging in front of her. She fought the smile as she put her things inside first before focusing on the note.

Close your eyes, make a wish. Then at the sound, turn around.

Mercedes smiled as she did as the note instructed. She closed her eyes and silently made a wish. At the end of making her wish, she heard Sam's voice. She turned to see him standing before her in a suit, the bolo tie from last year's prom, and his guitar strapped to him.

Do do do do do do
Do do do do
Yeah
La la la la la la
La la la la
Did you get my card?
Did you read my love letter?
Did it touch your heart?
When you read my love letter

Mercedes stood there while he sang only to her once again. A big crowd gathered around them as she saw Sam only have eyes for her. He sung the heartfelt ballad about someone wondering if the person they cared forgot the admission of love they sent out to them. She realized that Sam was asking that very question to her. This two weeks of love songs were his love letters to her. All his feelings someone else wrote into song.

Sunny days, smiling face
Spirit filled, heaven praise
Memories in my mind Reminiscing of
good times
Miracles, so amazed Soldiers far away
It makes me ask the question baby

Sam noticed Mercedes wore her hair in a soft, long in length Farrah Faucett style. Minus the bangs. He liked her bangs but loved when she wore styles like this even more. It was the same hairstyle she was wearing when did his dorky future proposing to her in the hallway, after Mr. Schue's announcement. He remembered her wearing a cotton candy scent that day and wondered if that was for his benefit. He watched her genuinely smile at him as he sang to her.

Did you get my card?(Huh)
Did you read my love letter?(Yeah)
Did it touch your heart?
(Yeah yeah)

When you read my love letter
(When you read my love letter)

Mercedes glanced up and noticed that all the couples were hugged up and the intended Valentine's day couples all shared sweet looks. She started to smile wider as she focused back on Sam. She stepped up to him as he strummed the guitar attached to him. She reached out and fingered the bolo tie as she lightly laughed at the memory of prom.

Weekends and birthdays
Celebrations, holidays
Love making history
A toast to our victories
Sweet dreams, butterflies
Holding hands, side by side
Best friends, families

Reminds me

Sam watched her touch the bolo tie and he knew she would get a kick out of it. Something they only shared. A piece of the night that truly started it all for both of them. He was worried at first, that the suit and the bolo tie would be too much. But the minute she smiled at it as she touched it, he sighed in relief.

Did you get my card? (my card)
(Did you get my card girl?)
Did you read my love letter?
(Tell me did you read my love letter?)
Did it touch your heart?
(Did it touch your heart?)
When you read my love letter
(Girl when you read my love letter)

Mercedes remembered every song he has sung to her. From the first one to this one and she listened to every word. And she knew they all touched her heart. And helped her make her mind up, days ago. That she was in love with Sam. That she always loved Sam. That she would forever love, Sam. That he wanted her to shine as bright as she could. All he asked was could he be by her side to love her as he does. Like he has. Like he will, forever.

I hope these,

Hope these words find you in the
perfect mood
I wrote this letter according to my love
for you
So I hope this paper will travel safely
to where you are
Because the melody is custom made
for your heart

Sam wanted to stop singing and just pull her into his arms. He needed to kiss her so bad. But he needed to finish this. To show her that she was worth it. Too bad, the smile and look her in her eyes wasn't helping. He watched her move her right hand up and settle on his left cheek.

Though near or far I will find a way to
send my love
Only pray that it don't come back
return to sender
If you are reading this I hope that
things are well
And you can text me back, you can
write me back
Just check your mail

Sam leaned his cheek into her palm as he continued to sing to her. She looked at him lovingly as she wished he would finish up the song. It was a beautiful song, but right now she wanted to kiss her man.

Did you get my card?
(Did you get my card?) (yeah)
Did you read my love letter?
(Girl tell me)
Did it touch your heart?
(When you read)

When you read my love letter
(My love, love)
Did you get my card?
(Did it make you smile?) (yeah)
Did you read my love letter?
(Did it lift you up?) (yeah)
Did it touch your heart?
(Did it make you wanna ? baby)

All the couples around swayed and bopped to the music as it put them in a deeper Valentine day mood. He moved his cheek from her hand and held his hand up. Sam, then strummed the chords one last time as he finished the song.

When you read my love letter
(When you got my love letter)
All the ladies sing (for me)
Do do do do do do do do
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Ladies sing
La la la la la la la la la

Sam finished up the song before moved his head straight and stepped back. Everyone around them clapped as he got down on one knee, causing several students to gasp. Mercedes gasped also and noticed Sam take the guitar off and held it at his side. He reached for her right hand with his free one as he looked up into her eyes. "Mercedes Jones, I love you. I simply do. And this isn't what you think. I'm saving that proposal for later in our lives. This proposal is me asking you not only will you be my girlfriend again, but will you be my Valentine?"

Everyone waited with bated breath as Mercedes helped Sam up. He grew confused as he thought that her answer was no. But she surprised him, by pulling him into a deep kiss before breaking apart. " Sam, I will be your Valentine. But, as for being your girlfriend again. I never stopped. My heart was always yours. And my mind always had thoughts of you in it. I never stopped loving you. So, yes I will." Everyone cheered as Sam smiled and pulled her back into his arms.

They held each other tightly as they both sighed relief. As he held onto her, he silently remembered one last gift for her. One they would share in private.

That evening, Mercedes' parents went to a romantic Valentine's date her dad had planned. As she walked through the house, she was still floating from early this morning. "There is no way this day could get any better." She said aloud before there was a knock on the door. She walked to the front door and opened it to see Sam. He stood there in a pair of old, worn blue jeans, his sneakers, and a faded t-shirt and jacket. "Hi." He smiled. "Hi." She smiled. "Happy Valentine's day, Mercedes." He told her. "Happy Valentine's day, Sam. Come in." Mercedes softly told him, as she smiled back. Sam walked in as he showed he had a bag in his hands.

"What is that?" She smiled as she grew excited. Sam stepped up to her as he grinned at her. "A gift for you." "Oh, Sam!" She said as he handed it to her. Mercedes grabbed his hand and lead him to the living room. They both sat down on the couch as he waited for her to open it up.

Mercedes opened it to see it was an old iPod. "I can't get a new one right now." He explained. "But that's not important. Because it's not the iPod. It's what's on the iPod that's important." Mercedes grew confused as she handed him the iPod. "What's on it?" "Love letters. Gifts of song. Memories of these past two weeks." He told her as he scrolled down to the last song. "One more gift." He smiled. "Can you get your iPod speakers?" He asked.

Mercedes nodded as she hurried upstairs and into her room. She grabbed her speakers before hurrying back down and into the living room. She handed them to him and waited as he plugged them into the iPod. She reached the main plug into an outlet t scrolled down the list of songs until he found the right one.

"Mercedes, here's my last gift to you this Valentine's day. I hope you understand why I saved it for last." He said as he pressed play. The music began to play as Mercedes heard Sam voice. She glanced up to see he was singing to her on the Ipod as well as in person.

If there were no words
No way to speak
I would still hear you
If there were no tears
No way to feel inside
I'd still feel for you

Mercedes started to feel the tears build up in her eyes as Sam moved closer. He took her face into his hands as he sang to her.

And even if the sun refused to shine
Even if romance ran out of rhyme
You would still have my heart until the end of time
You're all I need, my love, my Valentine

He watched the tears fall down her face and onto the tips of his thumbs. He began to use them to wipe them away as he sung with the recording of his voice on the Ipod. He knew that each song he had to sing again and record for her. Sam had Lauren's friends AV friends, the band, and piano player in glee help him record every song he sung to her.

All of my life
I have been waiting for
All you give to me
You've opened my eyes
And showed me how to love unselfishly

Mercedes closed her eyes as she couldn't believe that she was so wrong. That this day did get better. That Sam truly loved her very much. That even though he doesn't have much, he worked hard to plan out and achieve the greatest gift she's ever gotten. And could possibly ever receive.

I've dreamed of this a thousand times before
But in my dreams I couldn't love you more
I will give you my heart
Until the end of time...
You're all I need, my love, my Valentine

She opened her eyes as she pulled him into a hug. They sat together on the couch as he hugged her back. His voice matching his recorded one, giving off the stereo effect through the living room. He pulled back and caressed her tresses as he leaned in to rest his forehead onto hers. He moved away and leaned back with his arms open. Mercedes, went to him as she snuggled into his embrace. Sam closed his arms around her and held her as he continues to sing.

And even if the sun refused to shine
Even if romance ran out of rhyme
You would still have my heart until the end of time
'Cause all I need is you, my Valentine
You're all I need, my love, my Valentine

As he sung the last lines of the song, he squeezed her tight and let the last notes fade into iPod speakers. They silently held one another, realizing nothing else needed to be said. Sam felt content as Mercedes snuggled deeper into his arms. It was a great Valentine's day for them both. Better than either could have expected. They were back together. And if Sam had anything to do or say about it, no one will ever split them up again. A smile lit both their faces, before the quiet around them lulled them to sleep.