Chapter 2: Back At One

Song Inspiration: Back At One (originally) written and sung by Brian Mc Knight and the version sung by the Country singer, Mark Wills.

A/N: The song being used has two versions. The original which Sam will hear on the radio (song link is in the story, during the dream that Brian McKnight sings) and the remake which he'll sing( the link for the song is below in the chapter that  Mark Wills sings, is the one he'll actually sing to Mercedes..The words for it will be below).

Sam sat in bed as he stared at the ceiling, thinking of the assignment. Each time his mind would try to focus on a song, it would just drift back to thinking about Mercedes. He sighed deeply and knew he had an easier time finishing his homework. He turned over on his left side as he reached to the radio and turned it on. An R&B ballad came on before he started to drift off to sleep.

He dreamed he was sitting across from Mercedes and Shane at lunch watching her smile at him. Sam noticed everyone around him slowed down before he stood up from the table he was at. He made his way over to them and watched Shane's lips talk about something while Mercedes' face turned in his direction. He gave her a small smile and watched her smile grow wider as she looked into his green eyes. He watched her slowly stand, leaving Shane there. Sam continued to make his way towards her while she made her way to him.

Sam stretched his hands out before he opened his arms. Mercedes began to move faster in slow motion before him as everyone, including Shane, watched her move into his arms. He closed them around her and hugged her tightly. "I love you." He whispered to her. Mercedes continued to smile as she turned her face towards his ear as she whispered back. "I know. I love you, too. I never stopped loving you. I just couldn't leave him and be a bad girlfriend. I don't want to be that girl, Sam."

Sam sighed as he nodded his head in agreement. "Will, you ever be able to come back to me?" He whispered back. "Yes, I will. He just has to let me go." She softly said as Sam pulled her back as he looked into her beautiful brown eyes. "I guess that's a no." He said sadly. "Sam." She breathed in a concerned tone. "No, Mercedes. He's not going to give you up." Sam said as he moved his fingers up to her cheeks and held her face in the palms of hands. "He's going to fight for you, baby. Just like I am. Because you're that kind of girl, no man wants to give up on."

Mercedes watched the tears fall from his eyes as she felt her own gracefully slide down her cheeks onto his hands. "Sam." She began to cry harder at the thought they both shared. "It's okay, I'm not giving up either. I just want you to expect this to get dirty. On both sides. But know I would never hurt you. I would walk away first. I would let him have you, baby before I would ever cause you any pain. I love you that much." He stated in a sad tone.

Mercedes stared at him before she glanced up at the ceiling. "You know it's Valentine's Day." She sniffed. "Yeah." He smiled through the tears. "Well, where is my gift?" She joked. "I thought that was something your boyfriend was supposed to do." He said and laughed a bit. "Well, you don't have to be with someone to give them a gift. You can do something for someone you care about or love. And that can be anyone." Sam looked down in thought when Mercedes noticed how the unshed tears upon his lower lashes made him so beautiful at that moment.

He then looked up and the tears finally fell as he smiled at her. "I think I know how I can win you back." Mercedes wrapped her arms around his neck as she titled her head some. "You never lost me, Sam. I never stopped being yours. I -." She said before he cut her off by softly planting his lips upon hers. Mercedes inhaled his breath as she felt his lips move up and down upon hers.

Sam's tongue slow danced with her tongue before he inhaled sharply, taking as much of her air inside of him. Mercedes could feel herself slipping as she held onto Sam tightly. Sam felt the same from Mercedes pulling him closer. He felt like he was drowning and light-headed. She still had that effect on him and at the moment, he never wanted it to stop. But soon as he wished to go on forever, she stopped the kiss.

"What did you stop for?" Sam asked as he stared at her, out of breath. Mercedes licked her lips as she released the hold she had on his neck. "We have to wake up, so you can begin whatever plan you have for me for Valentine's day. After all this plan and gift is supposed to get me back with you. Right?" She asked him as continued to hold onto her. "Yeah, it is." "Well, let me go so you can wake up." She told him as she moved some.

Sam continued to still hold on as her. "Wait, I like this song. Let's dance to it." Sam said as he moved his hands until they found hers. They began to dance slowly as he sighed and closed his eyes. Mercedes began to hum the tune as she snuggled closer to him. "What's the name of it? The song." Sam asked. "Back At One." She said as the music was nearing the end. "I got to go, Sam." She said as he finally let her go and gave a nod. "Okay," Sam stated as he watched her reach up to his hair and lightly run her fingers through the front of it.

Sam closed his eyes as he felt her fingertips lightly trace down to the side of his face before he could feel her slipping away. He opened his eyes and saw her walk backward in the path she came to him on. He noticed everyone around him went back as well before he noticed Mercedes was back at the table as she sat down and smiled at him. He watched her smile go from the beautiful, wide grin she gave him to the small, polite smile she had at first. Then the light in her eyes went back to dull and steady as her head slowly turned back towards Shane who was still talking on and on about nothing. He stood there as he sighed and knew he had to go back. A smile lit his lips as he knew going back could help him move forward. Forward to getting his girl back.

Sam slowly let himself walk backward to the lunch table he was at. He sat back down and got back in the position he was in before as he placed his hands on both sides of his face before he stared at her. He slowly blinked as he watched her from a distance. When he opened his eyes he was back in bed as he sat up and knew what he had to do. He glanced at the radio as he smiled to himself on the perfect song to start his plan with.

Mercedes opened her eyes as she began to quietly cry. She took out the earbuds as she turned off her iPhone radio as she sat up. She wiped the tears away as she thought about the latest dream she had about Sam. This one felt so more real than the others and she looked at the calendar and saw she had two weeks before Valentine's Day. She just hoped that whatever she was going to decide or do, that it wouldn't cost her everything and she ended up alone on that day.

The next day at school, Sam sat at lunch as he watched Mercedes from across the lunchroom. Just like in his dream as he knew wasn't hungry right now. Right now he was nervous about if this was going to work. He inhaled then exhaled a deep breath as he got up and grabbed his guitar and started to head over where she and Shane sat.

Shane glanced out of the corner of his eye before he turned his head and spoke. "What do you think you're doing here?" Shane spoke firmly watching Sam get his guitar ready. Sam ignored Shane and focused on Mercedes. "Mercedes, I just need to you listen. That's all for now. Don't say anything, just listen." He said before he began to play and sing.

It's undeniable
That we should be together
It's unbelievable
How I used to say
That I'd fall never
The basis is need to know
If you don't know
Just how I feel
Then let me show you now
That I'm for real
If all things in time
Time will reveal

"What in the hell?" Shane said as he glanced from Sam singing to Mercedes quietly paying attention. She kept her face neutral as she watched Sam sing to her. She could hear Shane ramble on in her right ear as her left ear tried to focus on Sam's voice. She slowly breathed as she closed her eyes and let Sam's voice tell her what he needed her to know.

One
You're like a dream come true
Two
Just want to be with you
Three
Girl, it's plain to see
That you're the only one for me
And four
Repeat steps one through three
Five
Make you fall in love with me
If ever I believe my work is done
Then I'll start back at one

Shane narrowed his eyes as he watched Mercedes close her eyes and listen to her ex sing to her. She opened her eyes as she looked back up at Sam as he kept his focus between her and his guitar playing. Shane had enough. He was about to stand up and deal with Sam Evans when Mercedes reached out a hand and place it on top of his. She turned her head to him and gave him a sad look before she focused back on Sam.

It's so incredible
The way things work themselves out
And all emotional
Once you know what it's all about, hey
And undesirable
For us to be apart
I never would have made it very far
'Cause you know you've got the keys to my heart

Mercedes glanced at Sam as he stepped back some. She watched his feet move before her eyes looked back into his face as she realized he was calling her out. She accepted the challenge and stood up and stepped up some. Sam continued to sing as he moved backward again. Mercedes moved forward again. Sam took another step back as she took another step forward.

One
You're like a dream come true
Two
Just want to be with you
Three
Girl, it's plain to see
That you're the only one for me
And four
Repeat steps one through three
Five
Make you fall in love with me
If ever I believe my work is done
Then I'll start back at one

He smiled and sang deeper to her as they continued the game between the two of them. Suddenly they both forgot the lunchroom full of people and her current boyfriend. Sam moved to the side as he watched her move in the same direction. When he moved onto the other side, Mercedes followed. Both of them smiling as he focused on the next few lines of the song.

Say farewell to the dark of night
I see the coming of the sun
I feel like a little child
Whose life has just begun
You came and breathed new life
Into this lonely heart of mine
You threw out of the lifeline
Just in the nick of time

Mercedes made sure she listened to him as she started to rock lightly in the same spot as he finished the song. He watched her focus on the words he was singing. Sam hoped and prayed she understood what he was doing and this was just the beginning. Suddenly the rest of the New Directions came closer and watched the rest of the show as Sam started to end the song.

One
You're like a dream come true
Two
Just want to be with you
Three
Girl, it's plain to see
That you're the only one for me
And four
Repeat steps one through three
Five
Make you fall in love with me
If ever I believe my work is done
Then I'll start back at one

Everyone clapped and cheered, even a few of his teammates. Shane cut them a look before he stood up and walked up to Mercedes. Without saying a word, Shane grabbed her hand and lead her away. Sam's eyes went wide in surprise before they narrowed. He watched Mercedes give him a final glance before Shane turned his head and did the same. Sam noticed Mercedes smile at what he did, accepting his challenge. Shane gave him a frown and side-eye as he also accepted Sam's challenge.

Sam blew an exasperated breath as he hoped that just like his dream, Mercedes would be prepared for the fact that this all may get dirty and Shane might not play fair.