Chapter 12: The Reason

Song Inspiration: I Can't Help Falling In Love With You by Elvis Presley and The Reason by Hoobastank

A/N: I have two songs in this chapter. Sam is going to sing one song that will be in chapter.  While the title song is the main song of the chapter. Read on, to understand what I mean.

Sam sent Mercedes a text to meet him in the auditorium once again. He figured after the last time they were here and sung Human Nature, they kissed. He made a promise to himself that wouldn't happen. Not until this was all over. Mercedes walked in as she kept her distance. 

"Thank you for coming." He said as he walked to the end of the stage and sat down at the edge. "Please, take a seat." He said as he watched her look at him suspiciously. "I promise what happened before won't happen. I just want to tell you that today is day twelve. But you will get two songs for the price of one. The first song I wanted to do now. Especially after last night. I was thinking this as I sang at your doorstep."He told her. "What?" She finally spoke and sat down in a seat closer to the stage.

"That I can't help falling in love with you." He admitted before he began to play his guitar. Mercedes crossed her arms as she focused on his playing before he began to sing to her.

Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay
Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you

Mercedes watched Sam sing and play with his eyes closed. She saw so many emotions cross his features as he belted out the ballad to her.

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

She watched him continued to sing to her as she noticed tears fall from under his eyelids. They clung to his lashes as she could hear the change in his tone as she knew he was starting to cry. And it made her want to cry.

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

Shane peaked from the auditorium entrance as he witnessed the sight. He knew that today this ends. He was sick and tired of Sam Evans. He wants to get rid of him from his and Mercedes' lives once and for all. Shane walked off as he mentally got ready to confront Sam for the last time.

Sam finished playing as he opened his eyes and looked down. He quietly sniffed and wiped his face with the back of left hand. "That was beautiful Sam." Mercedes stated as she clapped before she stood up. "It's how I have honestly felt. I always had a crush on you. I was falling when we spent prom together. But, I fell in love with you during the time we shared from the moment before and after we got back from New York." He said as he honestly laid his heart out on the line.

Mercedes was at a loss for words as she assumed that he fell in love with her over the summer, not before. When she couldn't find the words to speak, Sam continued. "Well, that's all for now. And the song I want us to sing tomorrow is titled, 'All I Have To Do Is Dream'. I'll leave the sheet music in your locker." He told her before getting down to leave. "Okay." Mercedes said before she turned and walked away, leaving him there alone.

Later that day, the final bell rang to go home. As everyone was in the hallway, getting ready to go home, Sam was at his locker gathering his things. "Sam Evans!" Shane Tinsley yelled through the hallway, causing everyone to stop what they were doing and focus on the football player walking towards Sam. Mercedes, Tina, Kurt, Blaine, Rachel, Quinn, and Santana lead the rest of the New Directions over towards the guys. Sam sighed and placed his stuff back into his locker then closed it.