The Hand that Rocks the Pine: Part 2

Pacifica's parents found out about the Tent of Telepathy thing nearly a week later, in the middle of a tour.

As soon as the Mystery Shack had closed for the day, they stormed off to find the cousins and Ford in the living room, with Melody sweeping the living room floor. 

"Ford, what's the meaning of this?" Mr. Southeast demanded. "Taking them to see our rivals' show?"

"I don't want to go as much as you do," Ford said. "But they out-logicked me."

Mrs. Southeast opened her mouth to say that that definitely was not a reason to go, but Ford added, "And I need to see someone. For the sake of a project."

Mr. Southeast sighed. "Fine," he grumbled. "Just don't make some kind of business arrangement with those twins."

"After all," Melody began, stopping her sweeping and joining the cousins, "these two deserve to get out of the house. You can't keep them cooped up all summer."

"Where were you all the other summers?" Pacifica asked, narrowing her eyes. 

"In school, dear. Now, if you two want to actually go and see the Mystery Twins, you should be getting ready for bed." Melody gave the cousins a hug and then pushed them towards the stairs.

Mr. Southeast turned to Ford and Melody. "I mean it - if we suddenly see our rivals hanging out at our house, then you're at blame."

"Deal," Ford said. "I definitely do not want to go. But Melody's right - they can't stay inside all summer."

"I go with them," Mrs. Southeast decided. "They can make their own decisions about going outside or not." 

Mr. Southeast did not look amused. "We need Pacifica's help with tours!"

"We can pull her out when we need to. Let's get some sleep."

Almost twenty-hours later, Ford, Gideon, Pacifica, and Melody stood in a line, waiting to get tickets to the Tent of Telepathy.

Once they had gotten their tickets, Ford said, "Save my spot - I'll be right back."

Melody and the cousins found a spot to sit; they immediately observed the tent after sitting down.

"This is giving me creepy vibes," Gideon muttered. 

"It just looks cool," Pacifica said happily. Then she frowned. "Where's Ford? He's going to miss the entire show!"

As if on cue, the lights in the tent dimmed. Two spotlights flared to life and focused on the velvet-blue curtains.

The curtains rose and revealed the legendary Mystery Twins.

Gideon's stomach dropped.

The Mystery Twins were the twins from the forest.

Oddly enough, Ford knew the tent like the back of his hand. Dressing rooms on his right, the backstage door on his left -

He skidded to a stop. The Employees Only door stood right in front of him. 

He very well knew he'd get kicked out if he opened the door and got caught, but he had to take risks. 

And so Ford opened the door, ignoring the warning sign.

"Welcome, adoring fans," Mabel Gleeful announced, a smile on her face. "Welcome to the Tent of Telepathy. I hope you're ready for an hour of mystical magic!"