Chapter 42: Red Queen

- Eva's POV

"Are you trying to kill me?" Asher groans sitting behind me kissing my shoulder. I press my butt further against him feeling him inhale sharply. I smirk. "Tease." 

"Just returning the favor." He doesn't say anything so I continue, "I can feel you... and can't do anything where were at." 

I stress the word 'feel' and can feel the vibrations from his chest letting me know he is chuckling. I grin and once again lay my head back on his shoulder having my face up to the warmth of the sun. His hand once again wraps around my petite waist. I feel eyes on us but refuse to move. 

Leila is sitting next to us under the umbrella reading while Cara and Parker are laying down on the sand beside us. Brody and Marcus are once again back in the ocean playing around. This is perfect. I smile softly realizing that for once I am happy and just having fun. 

Asher has been very attached since last night but I can't say I mind. His touch is soothing, and possessive which is a turn on for me. I continue to feel his thumb draw gentle circles on my hip. I sigh and tilt my head kissing his neck softly. His thumb stops and grips my side slightly. I continue to kiss his neck making his breathing become more labored. 

"If you don't stop, I will do things you don't want your sisters to see." He whispers softly. I giggle and stop my assault. 

"Eva..." I can hear the stress in Cara's voice making me go rigid and listen intently. I hear the footsteps approaching us. I can feel Leila look around and then steps up to come sit beside me. Asher's body changes as well becoming stiff. I rub his leg trying to relax him while I take a deep inhale. 

"Ah there she is!" Shit, I recognize that accent. I feel Leila discreetly place my dagger right beside my butt. Asher's leg comes down covering it slightly while he pretends to be relaxing. I listen intently to see how many are around us. The shuffling of feet leads me to know there are 5 here. Not too bad, I've dealt with worse. "Our Red Queen, oh how we have missed you." 

"Wish the feeling was mutual." I smile sweetly making him chuckle at me. He steps right in front of Asher and I however is eyes aren't on us. "Stop staring at her." 

"Oh, I see your still as feisty as ever... Maybe I should-" 

I feel him lean forward towards Leila's face. I quickly snap the dagger out from hiding and point it directly to his jugular. His friends quickly circle us while two are stepping closer to Cara & Parker. I keep my focused on the blade while I feel him gulp. Asher is looking intently at the blade as well. 

"Listen here mutt, I won't hesitate this time. Step back from my sisters before no one walks away from here." I spit out with venom. 

At this point Marcus and Brody are walking up to us while most other beach attendees take off. I feel everyone leaving not even bothering to help. Real nice... I keep my eyes glued on the prick at my mercy. 

"Oh my queen, you don't know how badly Lucien wants to see you. He actually has decided to make a special trip to visit you." 

I feel Asher begin to try lunging forward however I stop him while still holding the dagger to prick's neck a little firmer pressing against it. I slowly stand up which causes him to stand up straight with the blade still to his throat. Asher's tense body still sitting behind me and Leila looking at me intently. Marcus and Brody ready to jump in. Parker is wrapped around Cara protectively which I am grateful for. All eyes are on me... I feel his men begin getting closer to us. 

"Do they tell you why they named me the Red Queen?" I ask loudly for all his men to tense and stop moving. "I enjoy blood more than peace." 

His men quickly try to reach for Leila and Cara. I slit the guy's throat clean then thrust the blade into the guy pulling on Leila's arm. He crumbles over in pain. Asher stands up and quickly punches one of them in the jaw. I can hear Marcus and Brody tackling one to the ground behind me. That leaves one. 

"Don't!" I feel Cara yell in agony. I turn sharply to her. Her breathing is erratic but the mutt's feet aren't near her. I close my eyes and listen to the sand while hearing grunting then the unmistakable click of a gun. 

"I don't know who you are but Lucien will kill me if I don't return with you." He growls deeply but the fear is evident. I then realize that he has the barrel pointed at Parker's head. Everyone is staring at him. I close my eyes for a brief moment once again trying to place where everyone is. Marcus and Brody are holding one guy to the ground. Asher is now standing in front of Leila directly behind me. Cara is looking at Parker who is trying to stay calm. I reopen my eyes looking directly towards the last man. 

"If you release him I will walk with you." I feel the guys glare at me while Cara lightly gasp. The guy seems hesitant. I take a slow step in his direction while his gun stays attached to Parker's temple making him hiss. I raise my hands in a surrender form. He quickly pushes Parker towards Cara while he grabs my arm and turns me around. I feel him press the gun to the side of my head while my back is to his front. His erratic heart thumping loudly against my shoulder blade. 

I can feel Asher try to step forward but Leila gently grabs his arm stopping him. I know this looks bad but to be honest I know what I am doing... or at least I hope I do.  Parker is once again guarding Cara behind his back but he is staring at me. I gently shake my head telling him not to try anything. 

"прочность" (Strength) I say softly. I feel him press the barrel harder against my head as he begins to walk us backwards.

"Shut up bitch." He says sharply. He yanks on my arm and I feel I am a few feet away from everyone. I take a deep breath and decide to make my move. I very quickly lean forward and then ram my head back head butting him hard. He groans and lets go holding his nose. I take the opportunity to do a round house to his head making him fall over. I quickly jump on his back and put his neck in a head lock. I feel him try to rip my arm away from his airway however it goes in vein. He begins feeling around in the sand. The gun. I squeeze tighter however not before he gathers the gun. He shoots aimlessly behind him trying to hit me. After a few shots I feel him collapse to the sand making me land on his back. I stand up and gather his gun in my hand.

"Eva!" I hear Cara and Leila run towards me followed by other foot steps. I begin staggering slightly feeling dizzy. Probably from the head butt I thought. I shake it off. Cara and Leila hug me tightly and I wince. They both quickly pull back. "You've been shot Eva." Cara says painfully.

"Not the first time." I grit out holding my side while I still hold the gun. I turn around and point the gun towards the limp man who shot me. "Leila, close em."

I quickly shoot him making Cara slightly jump but not say anything. I feel Asher looking at me but I can't read how he is feeling right now. I walk limply past everyone. I begin shooting a bullet into each body until I get to Marcus and Brody who are holding the guy between them. He is thrashing trying to get out of there holds. All the guys look shocked at me but don't say anything.

"Удачи в аду." (Good luck in hell) I lift the gun one last time and shoot him down. The guys don't know what to say. I begin feeling more darkness consuming me. 

"EVA!"

The last thing I remember is falling to the ground before the abyss consumes me.