Chapter 56: This. Ends. Now

-Eva's POV

"Come out, come out my red queen! Your death awaits sweetheart!"

I grit my teeth to not respond to his taunting. I grip the bow tighter feeling my rage over coming me. My body trembling with undefined anger pulsing through me. I begin hearing the shuffling of feet making their way down to the entrance of the basement. I wait in angst as I hear the feet steps slowing down. I close my eyes and angle my ear to the steps that have slowed down amongst entering the gym. I angle my bow for the first hit and let the arrow fly. I hear a thud followed by 3 men looking up towards the ceiling for me. I am fast to shoot another arrow ending another's life. I didn't move fast enough before the first shots are rung out shooting up towards me. I stay guarded for a moment before I am quick to turn releasing another arrow. 3 down, one to go... I close my eyes listening for the shuffling of feet but don't hear any. 

"Show yourself you little bitc-"

I cut him off with a final arrow flying with the sounds of pounding footsteps thundering towards the basement stairs. I use the rope swinging to a different area and get myself set back up again. I hiss and touch my arm feeling where a bullet grazed my arm. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. The footsteps all make it into the gym and I realize there has to be over a dozen or so in the gym now. I once again close my eyes making sure I know where everyone currently is. 

My mind taking a moment to collect all my thoughts. Flashes of images racing through my mind. What I picture Cara and Eva looking like. I allow my mind to think about Asher's soft touches and his husky voice. I picture them being safe which gives me all the determination I need to finish this. It. Ends. Now. I reopen my eyes and listen intently to the footsteps moving around the gym. My muscles tense as I line up the shot. I breathe out as the arrow flies through the air. Thud. Very quickly my spot is known and gun shots are flying at me. 

"Достаточно" (Enough) 

Lucien's command rings out loudly and I feel my blood freeze at the familiar voice. They are safe Eva, they are safe. I use the rope to jump down landing  in the middle of the ring hearing all guns lock onto me. I stand fiercely tall refusing to relent to this monster. 

Clap Clap Clap

"Aww my red queen. It has been too long." I hear only Lucien's steps as he taunts towards me. I stand strong narrowing my eyes at him. "Gentlemen. This is your soon to be queen." 

I scoff loudly. "I will never bow to you nor join you." 

"Then there is only one choice for you." He says in a calm voice. His steps making it inside the ring where I continue to not move. 

"I couldn't agree more..." I say as I lower my body into a fighting stance. He chuckles sinisterly. 

All of sudden I hear a loud clank and realize what has happened. I take advantage and pull out my gun from behind my back before shooting at everyone around the rink. Bullets go flying everywhere as Lucien hollers out in Russian for everyone to stop however you can tell everyone is in a state of panic and not listening. I jump out of the rink hearing all the shuffling and take focus. My gun shooting followed by less and less shots following. 

I am stopped abruptly by a familiar scent hitting my nostrils. Sandalwood. I freeze for only a split second resulting in a kick to my stomach sending me flying back. I land with a loud slam to the ground. I am quick back to my feet however my attacker is just as quick. I continue to battle him until he has me in a chock hold. I fight against him roughly however his hold tightens against my neck. 

"Drake, turn back on the damn lights!" Lucas bellows out. I hear another clank and I am roughly pushed back up into the rink. Where I choke trying to get a full gasp of air into my lungs. My hair being yanked up harshly. I grit my teeth to stop the scream from escaping. 

"See my little red queen. I had a few surprises for you however it looks like only one surprises remains." 

Lucas once again roughly yanks my hair back making me thrash in his hold. Lucien standing right up in my face. He grips my chin making only an inch away from him. I feel his breath fanning my face. I feel my body protest to his touch. My skin feeling like a spider is crawling on it. 

"Say hello to a few friends of yours Eva. Chris and Michael Gantler." I hear two sets of feet coming towards me and my blood is boiling listening to this man. I thrash in Lucas's hold as Chris steps up to me with Michael close behind him. I feel a shiver rake over me and not because I am cold. I feel a finger lazily run from my cheek down my neck and slowly going lower making me body tremble. 

"The beautiful Eva. How I have missed you." Chris said in a sickeningly sweet voice. His finger still playing with the hem of my shirt. I spit on him making him release my shirt as Lucien chuckles. 

"Dad, she is mine remember." Michael says but his voice doesn't match what he is saying. I realize he is still on my side... At least for the time being. I look towards his voice and see him take steady steps to me. I feel his hand yank the back of my neck right to his face level. "As I have told you before, I keep my promises Eva." 

I understood the double meaning of his word but play it out so I continue thrashing while Lucas struggles to hold me. A whistling sound rings by my ear and my eyes snap open hearing a thud sound behind me and the weight off of my hair. I take advantage and throw my body around into a round house kick knocking Michael out. Chris is quick to lunge for me just as another whistle flies through the air as Chris staggers back loosing his footing falling back. I stand tall although winded staggering only slightly. 

"Damn, I could have really used him." Lucien says sounding anything but caring. Lucien's body shifts towards where I know the command room is. 

"This ends now Lucien." I sneer out. 

"You know I couldn't understand back then how my family lost to a little girl. I mean my father laughed hearing how one of his men died due to a fatal wound to his eye. I thought it was ridiculous. Years later my brother decides he wants to prove something to our father..." He stands so confidently in front of me not even caring that we are officially the only ones left. "Yet he never made it back. It was supposed to be a simple hit. I couldn't imagine how a 12 year old killed a grown ass man." 

My chest tightens thinking about that night. The memories replaying through my head. I feel my shoulders slightly slag thinking of the first life I knowingly killed. How I felt disgusted with my self for weeks knowing someone didn't make it home to their family. Cara and Leila would cuddle me to sleep to stop the on slaughter of nightmares that followed. 

"I still feel regret to this day for your brother Lucien." I state with a level voice. "I was only protecting my sisters." 

"In the process of your protection, you ended my sibling." He states with more rage evident. "My dad blamed me til his dying breath for allowing me to let him go on that night. I had to live with the guilt for years!" 

I keep quiet realizing nothing I will say will ever placate him. I decide then to change my direction. "How did you get Lucas to help you? He has been friends with my uncle for years." 

His sinister chuckle comes again. As he begins to circle me like a predator circles his prey. "The poor boy worked for me long before your uncle. I had him stationed here just in case you ever showed up. Although I was upset to learn of your whereabouts from Chris rather than the man I have been paying for years. The young man seemed to have taken a liking to you... just like Alexander." 

My body freezes of it's own accord hearing his name. My heart beat speeding up to what he is implying. Lucas liked me? I think back to the warning signs I should have seen. I involuntarily shiver as Lucien chuckles. 

"You ruined that boy you know. He was a hard killer until he met you... You were his weakness. He tried to kill me you know. Wanted my revenge against you to end." 

"I didn't do anyth-"

"Didn't you though. I mean he willingly ended his career to try protecting you."

"CAREER? HE WAS A MURDERER!" I roar finally loosing my patience. 

"Aren't you though?" He ask from behind me. I freeze and he takes advantage of it. I hear an audible click with a barrel pressed to my the back of my head. "Goodbye my red queen." 

"Goodbye Lucien." I close my eyes waiting for the inevitable. 

BANG