Chapter 14 - Aftermath

-Now that we're done with the movie portion, here's some quick updates- 

-I'm legit so excited for SU Future

-I'll be making each chapter 700 or 800 words long, which might mean more sparse updates, but I get more time to polish the chapters so it's a win-win. 

-There's a small time skip in this chapter. 

-Also, let's just pretend the diamonds never came to earth.

-Wait so can we talk about how I'm #1 in STEVENUNIVERSEXREADER??? how what when where why-

"Wait!"

You catch up with her as she walks aimlessly out of your vision. "I know," She admits, sighing heavily

"Then... where are you going?"

"I've got work to do. Friendship isn't going to be easy for me. You make me wanna try, but...I've already messed up bad with you. I wish I could just start over with somebody..."

She breaks eye contact with you abruptly and opens her mouth to say something, but just stammers softly and covers her mouth. A slight smile tugs at your lips as you gaze at your beachside house, flashing her a quick, reassuring smile. "I have an idea."

"Well, here we are," You nod at the small, narrow room before throwing yourself lazily over your couch, a wave of exhaustion finally hitting you. Through all of the adrenaline, you'd just realized how drained you were. You glanced at a small window, the sky painted shades of violet and red as the sun lowers under the horizon. 

"Uh... Y/N?"

"Oh. Right." You turn sharply to find Spinel awkwardly standing in the doorway, fidgeting with the edges of her gloves. You tug a blanket from the edge of your couch, patting the side beside you with an inviting smile. A small, barely visible blush creeps up her cheeks as she neatly takes a seat next to you, keeping her distance.

"I know gems don't have to sleep, but... you can still try?" You raise your pitch at the end of your sentence in uncertainty. She nods simply, still avoiding eye contact with you, staring at her hands, seemingly lost in thought. "Okay. Just close your eyes, and think of nothing, and everything." You tug the covers up to your chin, glancing over at her. She sits on your couch, knees curled up to her chest with her arms curled around them several times. Her pink eyes are glossy and entranced, clearly deep in thought. Your eyebrows furrow slightly as you inch closer to her. "You... doin' okay?" You inquire, snapping her out of her trance instantly. "What?" She snaps her head towards you, blushing darkly and shaking her head, hiding her face in her knees. "It's nothin'. I was just thinkin'..." 

"Yeah? I'm right here if you want to talk about it..."

She carefully rests her head against your shoulder, unwinding her arms from her knees.

"Sure. I just... I was just tryna' to kill you and your brother. You've been so kind to me... I didn't know humans could be so..."

"...So what?"

"So perfect," She snickers quietly, her face dark pink. "It sounds stupid, I know... but even after everything, you let me in... metaphorically and literally, I guess. After everything, you've been great to me... but in a way... I'm kind of glad? I'm happy I stayed here with you, even though I was just trying to hurt ya. Isn't that awful?"

"Of course not," You mumble, your hand creeping towards hers. She musters a small smile, thoughtlessly taking you hand in hers. 

"Could you sing somethin', Y/N?"

Your face burns bright red as you tense up slightly, letting out a sigh.

"Sure...?"

"Thanks. It might help me with this whole "sleeping" thing," She giggles softly and quickly, nuzzling her head into the crook of your neck.

"If I could begin to be

Half of what you think of me

I could do about anything

I could even learn how to love

When I see the way you act

Wondering when I'm coming back

I could do about anything

I could even learn how to love like you

Love like you," 

You finish with a long, relieved sigh,

"Spinel? How was-"

She's fast asleep, softly, quietly snoring. You hadn't gotten the chance to look at her before then. You'd noticed her surprisingly soft, long, bright pink hair, jagged and messy, yet somehow neat and orderly. The cut of her gem was unlike anything you'd ever seen, the carving pristine and crisp, the small amount of light bouncing off of her gem to create multiple shades of pink painted onto her gem. The streaks under her eyes were bold and concrete, intentional to represent tear marks. She was so simple, yet so complex. You soon found yourself drifting off, the only sound being Spinel's soft snoring and the quiet, sparse gushes of wind in the night.