Chapter 6 - Disobedient

"....YOU! What are you doing here...?"

You rubbed the back of your neck sheepishly. "I can explain-"

"Get away from them, you monster!"

Amethyst's whip coiled around the two of you, tugging you both behind her defensively. You opened your mouth to speak, but nothing seemed to come out as you glanced up, Spinel unexpectedly disappearing from your line of vision. A few autumn trees blew with the wind.

"A monster? Where is it?.... I don't see it." Spinel playfully chuckled, appearing next to the three of you in the blink of an eye.

"You're it!"

"...Oh! Ready or not, here I come!" She gleefully tapped Amethyst on the head, a cartoonish squeak stemming from her glove as she optimistically ran away from Amethyst, expecting her to chase her. "Oh! I forgot to say, you're it!" She outstretched her arm, tapping her lightly on the shoulder. "Okay, tag, you're it!" She disappeared behind a hill.

"What the heck is this about?!"

You raised your palms, gesturing for her to calm down. "She doesn't remember anything." Steven ran a few fingers through his curly locks. "She doesn't even remember that thing-" You 3 turned to Spinel's injector, the same, consternated look plaguing your faces.

"Uh... Do you guys not know how to play tag?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You watched people pour into the crowd, catching a glance at Sadie. She'd recognized the familiar look of trepidation of your face, pressing your back to a corner of the room. "Hey," She placed a reassuring hand of your shoulder. "You're gonna do great, Y/N. I've heard you sing, you've got the talent." You gave her a small, unconvincing smile. You, Sadie and Amethyst appeared onto the stage, exchanging a sharp nod. "Who's here for the show?" Sadie grinned, hearing the loud cheers from the crowd. "Who's here because it's the end of the world?!" Even louder cheers blared from the crowd. You heard a faint, shocked "Wait, what?" from Lars.

She quieted down the crowd with her bold voice, beginning to sing,

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thank you for gracing me with your presence,"

She spat sarcastically, nodding towards you. You offered her a small, awkward smile.

"Good afternoon, sir

What can I do, sir

Just say the word, sir

Anything for you, sir

Your friends all say, sir

"You don't deserve her."

I disagree sir,

I live to serve, sir!"

You, Amethyst, and Sadie exchanged a look. With shaky hands, you pulled the microphone up to your lips, freezing in terror as your mind went blank. Your eyes frantically scanned the immense crowd, catching Spinel's gaze. She gave you a small nod, as your lips curved into a smile.

"I think about all the wasted time I've spent,

I wanna be disobedient!

I stood awake wondering where my summers went,

I wanna be disobedient!

Disobedient!

Disobedient!"

"I've been good, sir,

So very, very good, for what?

And I've given you every single thing I've got!

It's feeling strange, man,

This whole arrangement,

Is gonna end with me totally deranged, when I,

Think about all the wasted time I've spent,

I wanna be disobedient!

I stood awake wondering where my summers went,

I wanna be disobedient!"

While singing, projecting your voice onto the crowd, you watched as Pearl stood, eyes locked onto you from the side of the crowd as you sang. Your voice faltered, seeing as your singling wasn't helping Pearl in the slightest. You caught Steven's eyes, then Amethysts. You subtly shuffled closer to the edge of the stage, the three of you huddling up.

"It's not enough," Steven sighed, looking down.

"Maybe we need to hit her where it hurts."

You and Steven both muttered a unanimous, "Huh?"

"You know, her original boss? The love of her life? The reason she rebelled in the first place-"

"Mom." You mumbled under your breath.

"She's gotta remember mom!"

Steven and Amethyst both turned to you, waiting for your approval. You offered a single nod as Amethyst shifted into your mom, a twinge of pain shooting through you. You cringed slightly when Amethyst bagn to sing, her voice strained and weak.

"I want to be... disobedient,

I want to be disobedient,"

Amethyst shifted Pearl's chin to face her, but Pearl's eyes just disturbingly shifted to meet yours. You bit your bottom lip, wanting to look away.

"Disobedient,

Disobedient..."