Chapter 16 - With You

It had been a few weeks since Spinel's arrival, many of the residents slowly getting accustomed to Spinel's presence. You'd pushed your feelings for her to the back of your mind, ignoring them at any given moment. 

"Hey! You two should kiss," Peridot shouted at the TV as you struggled to contain your laughter. Lapis was sprawled out on your couch, the back of her head resting in Peridot's lap. Bismuth sat on the floor, completely enamored in the show. She attempted and failed to toss popcorn into her mouth, as it just hit her face instead. Spinel sat on the floor with you, head on your shoulder, knees tucked up to her chest. The five of you sat dangerously close to the TV.

"It's 1 AM... maybe we should call our Camp Pining Hearts binge session a night...?"

"No!" Bismuth and Peridot exclaimed in unison as they both scrambled to grab the remote. Peridot scrolled through the episodes, eyes glued to the screen.

"I don't understand why Percy and Paulette are even together. We can all recognize the superior couple that is Percy and Piere."

"Calm down, Dot," You snickered, "It's just a show."

"Just a show? Just a show?! No, Y/N. This is a work of art. You've looked at two people and wanted them to kiss, right, Bismuth?"

Bismuth's eyes flicker towards Peridot and Lapis, and then she turns to you and Spinel. 

"Why are ya looking at us...?" Spinel inquired, trying to process the situation. Both Peridot and Bismuth's eyes were fixated on the two of you as Bismuth cracks a knowing smile. The dim light was the only thing illuminating the room, but you could still see her cheeks turn dark pink as she buried her face in her hands. You playfully tried to laugh it off, having an internal breakdown.

"Shut up, guys," You chuckled, trying not to let your internal meltdown break through.

"We didn't say anything," Peridot giggles like a toddler as Bismuth casts you a subtle wink. You turn your attention back to the TV as Peridot casts another episode. In Spinel's time on earth, she'd been learning a lot about humans, both from you and Steven. Occasionally, Garnet and Steven would spend time with her, but you could never be completely certain about what they were talking about. Spinel had enough context to understand Peridot and Bismuth's suggestion. You'd noticed that Spinel was acting particularly distant in the past few days after talking with Garnet. You frowned slightly as she wasn't leaning on your shoulder anymore, face buried in her knees.

"Well, I'm going to call it a night," You tucked your blanket under your chin and closed your eyes, unintentionally leaning against Spinel's arm as you drifted off.

--------------------------------------------- 

"This isn't helping," Spinel groans, running a hand through her hair in frustration. 

"Come on, Spinel, it's easy," Stevonnie demonstrates, effortlessly fusing and unfusing in an instant.

 "It's not fusion I need help with..."

"So, what is it?" Steven inquires, his arm around Connie in a casual manner.

"It's askin' her. I don't wanna freak her out," The gem pulls on her pigtails in anxiousness.

"Hmm..." Steven pulls a hand to his chin. Garnet chimes in, practically giddy with excitement.

"I think I have an idea."

You sat on the sand, watching as the sky fades into a dark purple, the moon peeking over the horizon. Stars were barely becoming visible as the waves crashed against the shore. Spinel had gone off with Steven, Connie, and Garnet again, leaving you alone by the shore. You traced small patterns in the wet sand, sighing heavily. 

"It's pretty nice out tonight, huh?" You snapped out of your daze as Spinel took a seat beside you.

"I guess it is. How was it with Steven and Garnet?"

"Honestly," She met your gaze, clearly nervous, but trying to put on a stoic demeanor, "I think I'd rather just spend time with you." You were left speechless, mouth slightly agape, but trying not to show it.

"I...I've been learning a lot from them. I'm sorry I've been distant lately," There's a twinge of guilt in her voice.

"That's fine, Spinel."

"Say, Y/N..." She hesitates for a moment like she has a lot to say, but quickly collects herself. 

"Have you ever... had feelings for another human?"