Chapter - Ten (Haven)

Damn. I followed Aaron up to the dorm. I hoped this wouldn’t take long, we only had an hour before classes started. When I got to the room, the door was unlocked. Aaron was sitting on the couch, pouting. I walked over to him, and he scooted over giving me room to sit down.

“Aaron, why did you do that to Damien, you don’t even know him.” Damien, Damien. That’s where I knew the name from, Danny had told me that Aaron had a brother named Damien and that they hated each other. That’s why they had fought, it wasn’t because of me, but because Aaron was mad that Damien was around again.

“Damien’s your brother.” It wasn’t meant to be a question, but he answered me anyway.

“Yes.” It sounded final, like he didn’t want to talk about this anymore but I persisted.

“And you don’t like him.” This wasn’t meant to be a question either but he answered me yet again.

“Yes.” He looked away from me as he said this.

“Why?” I asked, putting a hand on his shoulder to comfort him.

“It’s a long story.”

“I think I can keep up.”

“You won’t believe me.”

“Try me.” I said, anxious to hear what he had to say. He paused for a moment, trying to think of where to start.

“Do you believe in ghosts?” he asked me. I was surprised at the way the conversation had turned. I thought about it over.

“I believe that when people die they don’t always move on.” He thought about that for a second, and then nodded.

“What would you say if I told you I was a vampire?” his question shocked me but as I thought about it, it made sense. After all, the guys were secretive and they kept disappearing. It would also explain the bites on my neck, meaning Damian was also a vampire.

“Ryan and Danny are too, aren’t they?” I asked, putting the pieces together in my mind.

“Yes, are you afraid?” I knew that I should be, but for some reason I wasn’t. I shook my head and he stared at me in disbelief.

“Ha no. This is more awesome that scary. And…Damian?” I asked although I was pretty damn sure Damian was a vampire. Aaron pursed his lips; this obviously wasn’t a topic he felt comfortable with.

“Yes he is. He is my real brother, unlike Danny and Ryan who are basically my coven. Damian and I used to be close, but he blames me for what happened to us.”

“Why?” I asked.

“In 1936 Damian and I had been walking home from the lumber mill where we worked. I was seventeen and he was nineteen, and we were stuck in the midst of the Great Depression. We worked every second we could so by the time we finally got off work it was dark when we were attacked. It had happened so fast I don’t really remember all the details. I remember two men caught up with us and the fear I thought about not returning home to our family. My neck felt like it was on fire as my attacker sunk his teeth into me but I remember the intense pleasure I felt as his venom worked its way into my veins. Before he could finish me off, I stabbed him with a glass bottle and he had run off, but not before biting Damian as well. Ever since, Damian has always blamed me for him being bit for some reason. And then we were hit by a car, ironic isn’t it?” Aaron saw the shocked and confused look on my face and went on with his story.