Chapter - Sixteen (Ryan)

“We need to figure things out.” Danny said from his chair. Damn straight we needed to figure things out. Haven had returned from the bathroom with a look of shock and despair on her face, which had now turned to acceptance. She was seated between Aaron and I on the couch, and Danny and Damian were seated on chairs around the table. “What all do we know?”

“We know that there is something loose in the school that killed Coach Turner and tried to kill Haven.” Aaron stated, and Damian let out a harsh cough.

“Um no, Coach Turner was actually me.” He said, with no guilt what-so-ever. Everyone remained silent after that and I wondered if it was a good time to hit Damian. Probably not. I should wait until I could get him alone.

“Well, I guess there is nothing we can do about that now…” Danny said, his mouth a tight line. “How do we get rid of this thing?”

“We can’t get rid of it when we don’t even know what it is.” I said, putting my head in my hands. “And we don’t have any idea what it is. Or how to find out. So all we can do now is do everything we can to protect Haven.”

“Well she will be safe at night with all of us in the room, I have all of my classes with her, and then when we go hunting Damian can stay with her.” I said. It seemed like a solid plan, though I hated the idea of Haven being alone with Damian. But I guess Damian was on our side until we killed this creature.

“That will work, but what are we supposed to do this weekend? Classes are supposed to start again on Monday, but we have no way to set a schedule to protect her this weekend. Especially when we all have to at least double up on hunting, if we want to stay strong.” Aaron made a good point.

“We can work out a schedule, but right now I think we should all just try to get some sleep.” 

When I woke on Saturday morning, it took me a couple minutes to remember the past day’s events. As soon as I did though, I shot up from bed to make sure she was alright. She was lying on her stomach, her hands tucked underneath her pillow, and wearing only a tank top. Her scars seemed worse today, although I could only see the top part of them. I cursed whoever did this to her. They would not get away from this. I softly traced my finger along the middle one, glad that Damian had been there before it was too late. She shouldn’t have been able to feel my touch, but she started to toss and turn.

“Ugh, what do you want, Ryan?” she groaned, but I could see a hint of a smile under the curtain of hair obscuring her face.

“Good morning to you too.” I laughed, taking a seat at the end of her bed. We had all decided on a plan before going to bed last night. It was my turn to watch her this morning, and already we were alone in the dorm. Danny and Aaron were out hunting and trying to get some answers, and Damian had left sometime in the night. “Get dressed, we are going to go get you some food.” She just groaned and rolled over, so she was facing away from me. As gently as I could, I grabbed her pillow and smacked her across the arm with it.

“Ouch! Damnit, Ryan! Haven’t you heard that you shouldn’t hit women? Especially cripples!” Before I could deny it, she grabbed the pillow out of my hands and started hitting me as hard as she could, wherever she could. And she did not hold back.

“Whoa there feisty, settle down.” I laughed, grabbing her arms and pinning them to her sides. “Not so tough now are you?” she stuck her tongue out at me, like a two year old. I started to tickle her.

“Oh god, not this again! I surrender!” she whined and I rolled off of her. “Thank you.”

“Whatever, just get dressed and we will go downstairs.” I laughed. Crossing my arms and waiting, but Haven made no move to get dressed or even to get up. “What?” I asked, wondering why she wasn’t moving. She just sighed and gave me a pointed look, before looking at the door. Oh, right. I felt my cheeks get red, probably a first for me.

I hastily exited the room, but didn’t have to wait long until Haven emerged. She was wearing jeans and a hoodie, even though it was nowhere near cold. I thought she had done it to hide her new scars. I clenched my teeth. A mixture of anger and sadness swirled around my head. This was not fair to Haven at all, and it was our fault that this happened to her. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this creature.

We didn’t talk as we made our way to the dining hall; I don’t think either of else felt the need to. Haven picked out a salad, and I followed her to a table. I watched her eat in silence for a while before finally speaking.

“Why do you keep picking out the ham?” I asked, curious.

“I don’t eat meant.” I scoffed at that.

“Why not?”

“I feel bad for the animals.” I just shook my head at her. “What?”

“I just think it’s funny, you would make an awful vampire.” I informed her.

“Well then it’s a good thing I don’t plan on becoming one.” She stuck her tongue out at me.

“What if I made you one? Right now?” I winked at her and she just rolled her eyes.

“Then I would spend the rest of eternity annoying the hell out of you.” She smirked.

“Touché” I said, but in my mind I thought that would definitely not be so bad. 

“Why are you crying?” I asked Haven skeptically, looking at her from the corner of my eye. We were both laying on the floor in front of the couch, where we had just been watching The Titanic.

“Because it is sad!” She exclaims, and I just roll my eyes. “Ryan, I don’t understand how you have been alive for like… one hundred and seventy years and you haven’t seen this movie.”

“I’m not a big fan of chick flicks.” I thought that would have been obvious.

“I bet Danny would watch chick flicks with me.” She said mockingly, and I just laughed.

“I bet he would. But that isn’t saying much.”

“Whatever,” she grumbled. “Did you at least like it?”

“It was stupid.” As soon I said that, I thought she would hit me.

“How can you say that?!” she gasped.

“Well firstly, I was alive when the Titanic sank, and that was not how it went down. And the ending was screwed up. There was plenty of room on that board for the two of them, but she just let him drown.” I shook my head in mock disappointment.

We looked up as the door opened, and Danny walked into the room.