Chapter - Thirty Seven ( Haven)

“What the hell do you mean I can’t come visit you?” Emily demanded, outraged. I sighed into the phone, wishing with all of my heart that I didn’t have to be having this conversation with my best friend.

“We’ve had two murders on the campus and they are not letting anyone that doesn’t go here into the school. You will just have to come for spring break instead.” I hated to lie to my best friend, and in my head I prayed that we would be able to get rid of this thing before then. A demon was it? The boys had told me it was some sort of demon. I don’t know if I believed them.

“Haven, spring break is three months away.” She grumbled, I knew she wasn’t mad at me though, which made me feel a little bit better.

“Yeah, I know. But hey, you will be here for prom that way.” I tried to make her see the bright side. I knew Danny would definitely be happy.

“Oh? And will your nazi school let me come to that?” Her voice dripped in sarcasm, and once again I sighed.

“Em, they are just trying to keep everyone safe. It’s been a scary couple of months.” That was an understatement.

“I know, I know. I just miss you Haven.” Her voice resumed its usual gentleness at that.

“I miss you too, Emily. Spring break will come fast. How are things back home? I can’t believe it’s been nearly a month since thanksgiving.”

“I know, right? It seems like you are just here. Well, Abby is annoyed that you can’t handle your liquor anymore. What was that about anyways? You were barely drinking and then all of the sudden you passed out? That’s not like you.” I grimaced, worried that she would find out the truth, but didn’t say anything. “Whatever, Matt hasn’t said much, come to think of it, it’s been awhile since I’ve seen him around, and I think he broke up with Kristi. From what I can tell, your mom has a new boyfriend, I think your mom, your dad and him went to go see a movie together last week.”

I was shocked. Not about the Matt thing, that was a given, but about the new development in my mom’s dating life. After the divorce, she only dated a couple of times and even that was years ago. I was happy for her too though, my family was so weird.

“But what about you?” She asked. “How are things with you and the boys?”

“We’re good.” Except for being stalked by a murderous creature, I added in my mind.

“That’s it? Really? I need details. How are things with you and you’re little boy toy?” I was very glad at that moment that we were talking over the phone, so that she couldn’t see how red my face had gotten. I decided the best thing to do was play dumb.

“I have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t play dumb with me, Haven Vanessa.” Damn, she saw right through me. I suppose that’s what best friends do though. “Now tell me about what’s going on with you and Aaron.” She said his name in a sing-song voice and I rolled my eyes.

“We’re not dating.” I couldn’t think of what else to say.

“No? Friends with benefits, then?”

“Not exactly. I like him a lot, Em. More than anyone I have ever meant. I just don’t know if things will work out between us, we are too different.” also, another understatement.