Chapter 2: Making Sense of it all

A few hours later Mary went back to the tent she came from and continued to write more in her journal:

~~~~~

The flickering gaslight cast grotesque shadows on the cavern walls as I tried to focus on my data entry. Numbers swam before my eyes, each one replaced by the image of a familiar face – a classmate from primary school, a neighbor from back home. The feeling was relentless, a buzzing in my skull that intensified every time I saw something that sparked a memory of Earth.

Tonight, it was the constellations. Master Aqpha had assured us there were no celestial patterns here that mirrored Earth's, yet a familiar cluster of stars seemed to wink back at me, a cruel reminder of everything I'd left behind.

Sleep offered no escape. Dreams became a kaleidoscope of forgotten phrases and half-remembered songs, each one a shard of a life that felt impossibly distant. The isolation gnawed at me. Everyone else seemed content to accept Master Aqpha's pronouncements as gospel. Was I the only one who felt this strange pull, this desperate hope that I wasn't truly alone? I have to be out of my mind.

~~~~~

Alsaashdyn said in Mary's head, "You aren't overreacting."

Usually, Mary talks to Alsaashdyn, but not this time. This time Mary communicated with her thoughts, "If I'm not, more from Earth would be here by now, yes? If the Chevaliers weren't monitoring that part of the planet, I would still be in those mines."

"They don't catch everything going on."

"I know that Alsaashdyn, but they were there for Jill."

"You know they will let you know if they found anyone transported to this world. I still believe you need to talk to your Master about what you wrote. They won't think you're crazy."

Mary put down her pen and did just that.

She walked around the place. She thought, "He isn't nearby when I need him? That's strange." When she came closer to him she gave him her usual solute and told him what was on her mind.

He smiled, "We've been thinking the same thing. With our usual scouting parties, we've found nothing, but I promise we'll let you know if we find anyone or anything else."

"I would like to know how Jill and I got here. If there is a way back home, I want her sent back. I'm a Chevalier; I can take care of myself."

Mary did not realize Jill was in earshot. Jill replied, "Trying to get rid of me, girlfriend?"

She turned around in shock which turned into embarrassment. "No, I'm not. You belong back on Earth."

"So do you, Mary. If only one person can be sent back, it should be you. It will do you the most good. Later on, you can come back here."

Master Aqpha stated, "I agree, but the both of you please listen — don't get your hopes built up. It's possible that whoever or whatever brought you here could be a one-way street."

Jill said, "That's why Master Aqpha hasn't told you about this. I made sure he didn't. All we have is me and a hunch. If they are more here from Earth, there's nothing anyone can do about it."

"I, in hell, want no one else to go through half what I've been through."

Jill said, "We all don't want that, either."

She sighed, "I'm sorry to have gotten angry at you."

She smiled, "I knew you weren't at me, sweetie. You're still trying to deal with what you have been through. If you were, I would have to whoop that ass."