Chapter 29: White Lie

We both reached an agreement, 'I accompany him to eat while he' accidentally' spills some secrets to me. It was a reasonable deal but his ability to utilize one's weakness to his own benefit only made me fear him more.

 Biden had been the one to drive me to school this morning and that was because my parents noticed my bike was no longer in the garage and when they traced it with the tracker on it, they saw that it's location (particularly the part the tracker was fixed on) was outside New York city.

   They had then demanded an explanation and I had to tell them how I found it disengaged last week (of course I lied about the time) and since the culprit left compensation, there was no point in dragging the matter.

   When I was done, they both nodded their head in understanding but nevertheless, my dad went on to lecture me about how not keeping things from one's parent was the best and all that for what seemed like an hour and the fact that it was in the middle of the night didn't help either. Only when he saw that I was already dozing off did he finally let me off but not after he assigned Biden to be my permanent driver.

 I hated cars, and I hated driving more. It was like a natural fear ingrained in my bones that I would always feel confined whenever I was in one. However, I knew I had to get used to it and that was what I did and nothing more, I never went near the steering and naturally don't think I would in the nearest future.

 Looking out the window had already become a norm since I and Marcus weren't considered close and there was nothing to talk about. The somewhat long trip finally ended when we got to the tallest building on the street with the name "Restaurant B" written boldly on top of the tall building.

 Although the name sounded unprofessional and senseless as it was funny how a person would name a restaurant 'restaurant' and still expect to make sales from it, it proved everyone wrong when after just a few days of being open, their name already became a household name and their fame ran nationwide.

 Naturally, I had also heard about this French restaurant, and as I have heard, one would have to wait for nothing less than a month to be able to book a seat. And Marcus being able to come here at his will and pick a random seat to sit made me take another glance at him and only one thing came to mind, he was very powerful.

 It could be said that not everything could be solved with money so with that, money and power must complement each other since the matters money could not solve, power could and vice versa.

 It wasn't long before our order was served and since I had insisted on having nothing, the table was not that full, however, the dishes were arranged to perfection and I commended the fact that this restaurant even took notice of minor details.

 Just like the chair, although it looked exquisite on the surface, it was actually comfy when sat on and the table was decorated simply, not too loud and not too low-key. The aroma of the food alone was enough to make one's mouth water as it is true that food is the fastest path to a human's heart, but it could be said that that person hadn't met me.

 I leaned comfortably on the chair, sipping my water as leisurely as I could as I watched Marcus cut and eat the steaks. The way he worked with his fork and knife was really elegant yet adorable that if I didn't know better, I would have thought he really was a gentleman.

...

   I waited till he picked up the tissue to dab his mouth and looked up when he was done. He stared at me for a moment before chuckling and asked.

 "You really are not interested in me?" His tone was gentle and calm, like a feather caressing ones heart and at the same time scary, but I wasn't caught unprepared and quickly shattered his hope.