Fifteen: Protecting A Rocket

“I can answer that,” I said honestly, stepping forward.

“The Martian people feel the same way that most humans do. We are equally interested in coming together.”

“Ah! There you have it folks! According to Earth’s…’intergalactic representative’ The Emerald Star, Martians want to meet us. But is it all a faux act?”

G. Gordon Godfrey’s voice came in from the side. I blinked at him.

“I would like to remind you, Godfrey. Once upon a time, human’s alone made the mistake to treat their neighbours with disrespect which caused two World Wars, one Cold War, the Hollocaust, descrimination and depression. To make the same mistake again would be unjust to both the Human race, and the Martian race.”

I fell back in line with Martian Manhunter, who was truly M’gann. “Thank you,” The person who asked the question, a reporter said.

“Now, we have time for one more question,” Carrol said, taking the stand again. We were in Florida, outside of Ferris Aircraft. There was just under an hour until the launch would happen.

As Martian Manhunter stepped forward to answer a stupid question from Godfrey, I flew up to join Superboy, who was pretending to be Superman.

“I hate this.”

“I know,” I replied. “But look on the bright side; we get to work with Artemis again.”

Clearly Superboy noticed the lying undertone in my voice. I was afraid; tonight we would fake Artemis’ death. Of course, I was terrified that something would go wrong.

When we were joined by M’gann, we began flying to the bio-ship; both Superboy and Miss Martian argued over something- I couldn’t care less about what, all they did was fight these days.

~

When Miss Martian, Superboy and Star had reached Cape Canaveral, Hana flew out of the opening to take her post on the opposite side of the island to Artemis and Nightwing.

"Hey," Misty, who was already stationed there greeted.

"Hi. I just came to check on you. I'll be back in a minute tops, okay?"

Leaving the startled girl there, Hana flew back to the other side of the island, to the lookout Artemis and Nightwing were in. She landed in front of them

"Here," she mumbled, holding out a small white pill to Artemis. "It'll sustain your systems whilst stopping your heart. I will need to give you the antidote within an hour. If this does not occur, you will die," Hana told her, before turning away.

Briefly, her eyes found Nightwing, who continued watching the ocean with his binoculars. Hana sighed and flew back to her post.

"She's mad at me," Nightwing said when she left.

"Same reason as Wally...sort of. They're afraid."