Prologue

It was a cold winter. That year again the snow had fallen down upon the Swiss city and even though the people tried to maintain it clean, no one would've liked to stay outside too long. Even though the sun was setting and letting everything shimmer in a slightly red tone, a blonde man could be seen walking through the snow, holding a bag of groceries. He was already pissed since he knew he'd have to shovel the snow away again after having it done twice that day already.

He huffed and tiny clouds of fog escaped his mouth, gently disappearing again. With completely red fingers Vash fished the key out of his pocket and opened the front door before quickly stepping in and closing it. "I'm back, Lilly!" He yelled through the narrow hallway with various tables and lamps at their walls, only to see the girl's head peeking around the corner. The warmth of the house slowly made him take off his shoes and his coat before he walked into the kitchen where Lilly had been. "Brother... Did you bring the Parmesan cheese with you...?" She asked him, looking at him with her big green eyes in hopes of him saying yes. Vash didn't answer for now and put the paper bag of groceries on the kitchen counter before starting to empty it. First two bottles of milk then a piece of ham wrapped into a thin paper cloth, some vegetables and finally the Parmesan cheese.

"Thank you...!" She exclaimed before giving her guardian a hug who usually claimed to not enjoy skinship. But regarding how cold he was and Lilly being so happy, the Swiss didn't bother. Instead he patted her head gently and she let go, taking the cheese to the refrigerator. "What were you doing here in the kitchen?" Vash then asked since he didn't see anything being cooked. "I made a chocolate ganache and it's now in here." The girl answered making a little space as she held the refrigerator open. There was indeed a bowl so Vash just smiled gently.

He liked Lilly's company a lot. Especially on cold winter days when usually no one bothered to see him, Lilly always made her surroundings a little warmer. At first, six years earlier when Roderich had dropped her off at the Swiss' place he had been furious and couldn't believe that he had to take care of a child. After all it costed him more money! But soon time passed and it felt like he had properly adopted her to be his daughter.

Yes, sometimes idiots like a certain Frenchman or Brit liked to appear at his house and sometimes even a loud Italian but no one could give him the joy Lilly could when she only smiled.