Chapter 6 - Is She Going To Be Okay?

Chapter 6

Ross-

I still hold Ashley’s hand in mine, now sitting in a chair though at the side of her bed, my thumb rubbing soft circles on the top of her hand.

“You want anything from the cafeteria, sweetie?” Mom asks softly, and I shake my head, looking up at her, then back at Ashley. “Thanks, though.”

Mom walks out, leaving me alone with Ashley, and I stare at her, my eyes staying on her until my phone vibrates.

‘Riker: Belle just texted me is everything alright?’

‘Rocky: Is Ash alright?! What happened?’

‘E-Rat: Is Ash okay? Belle texted me’

‘Delly: Is Ash okay?! Tell me she’s going to be okay’

‘Ry: Is everything okay?’

‘Carter: Dad! Is Mom okay?! Please tell me she’s gonna be alright’

And then,

‘Carter: Is Auntie Ash okay?! Please tell me she’s going to alright Uncle Ross –Ariel’

I make up a group chat, sending,

‘Hey guys. And I dunno if she’s going to be okay. I’ll update you when I can’

I receive replies,

‘Riker: Call me please’

‘Rocky: Okay, but call Riker’

‘Delly: Okay…’

‘E-Rat: Do u need us to come there?’

‘Ry: Yeah, do u need us?’

‘Carter: Dad, ask a nurse. Do something so I don’t have to wait any longer. Please’

I dial Riker, and he answers on the first ring.

“Ross! Are you in Ashley’s room right now?” He asks, referring to the hospital room.

“Yeah,” I say quietly. “I hope she’s gonna be okay.”

“I know she will be,” he says. “She’s a fighter, Ross. She’ll make it, because she knows that in the end, you’ll be there.”

“Yeah,” I hear Rocky now. Riker must have it on speaker. “Mom’s there with you, right?”

“Yea,” I reply. “It’s just… just that what if she doesn’t make it, guys? There’s all these ‘what ifs.’”

“I know,” Riker says softly. “But you have to think positive. For her, for everyone.”

“Dad!” I hear Carter run into the room where the phone is I’m assuming. “Dad!” I hear his footsteps near the phone, then I’m going to assume he sat with everyone. “Is Mom okay? How is she right now? Can you ask a nurse?”

“Calm down, it’s okay, C,” I tell him in a gentle tone. “Mom’s doing okay right now. I don’t know if I can. I’ll have to-“ Right at that moment, a male nurse, who looks to be in his late forties, comes in. “A nurse just came in. I’ll update you all ASAP.” I hang up.

“Mr. Lynch?” He asks, and I nod. “I’m Dr. Lam.” We shake hands. “You family of Ashley?”

“Yeah,” I nod. “I’m her husband.” He nods. “So, I’m sure you’re waiting for me to tell you the verdict,” he pauses. “I’m sorry, but I really don’t know. I wish I could tell you she’s going to be okay, but what that man did to her…”

“What’d he do?!” I ask frantically, then take a deep breath, calming myself. “Without her realizing, and he also used a painless needle – they aren’t common – he gave her shot of some type of drug, but it was a strong one, and it was an overdose.”