Chapter 11 - Meeting

Chapter 11

Ashley-

I walk down the stairs after I’ve showered, and in to the kitchen, starting on breakfast for everyone. Today, we’re going to go meet my older brother and sister in Washington. I told everyone to rise early so we could head out earlier, and get back earlier.

“Morning Mom,” Carter yawns, running a hand through his bedhead, smiling tiredly at me. “Want any help?” Everyone has been really helpful ever since they got home because of me expecting.

“Sure,” I smile. “Could you get the plates and utensils and set the table in the dining room for me?” Carter nods, going to the cupboard for plates, then the drawer just below it for the utensils. “Thank you.”

“Anything for you, Mom.” Carter smiles, and I couldn’t help but smile even wider as Annabelle comes into the kitchen, but walks right past me without saying a word.

Right after her, Ross walks in in a white tank top and grey sweats, and he saunters over to me, kissing my forehead, hands gently rubbing over my belly.

“Morning,” I say. “What’s up with Belle lately?” He shrugs. “I dunno… what do you think it is?”

What would it be? Ever since they all got back she’s been like this. Is it something I did? Is it something – oh. I know what it is now. It’s because of the baby coming. She feels jealous. We’ll have to talk to her.

“I think it’s because the baby’s coming,” I tell Ross softly. His eyebrows furrow. “What does that have to with it?”

“I think she’s jealous,” I pause. “Let’s talk to her. See what happens.” He nods, and I take the plate of pancakes I had made for everyone to the dining room with us, sitting down, and everyone serves themselves.

“Belle,” I say gently, and she looks up at me quickly, then looks back down. “Belle, please look at me. Your dad and I want to talk to you.”

“About how amazing the baby is going to be when they get here?” She finally looks up, a jealous look on her face. “Then I don’t want to hear about it!”

“No,” I still speak gently. “About how you feel. Is that the way you feel toward the baby?” She shrugs. “They’re going to replace me.” She whispers, and I look over at Ross with a sad expression, and he looks exactly the same.

“Y’know,” Carter speaks. “I felt the same way when Mom and Dad first brought you home, Belle. But they made me realize that, even if there is a new member of the family coming, they could never, I mean never replace you. Because that’s what makes up our family: me, you, Mom, and Dad.”

Annabelle looks up at Carter across the table. “You really think so?” He nods and smiles. “I know so. And think of it this way, when they finally arrive, you’ll have a baby brother or sister to teach everything that Mom and Dad taught us.”

Annabelle smiles for the first time after sitting down. “I guess I didn’t think of it that way. Thanks, C. And, sorry for snapping at you earlier, Mom.”

“It’s okay, hun,” I reassure her, and we all finish up eating, and clean everything, and everyone gets ready to head out.

~~~

“You ready?” Ross asks as he backs the car out of the driveway. “Ready as I’ll ever be.”

We start driving to Mom’s and Dad’s; they, Rydel, and Ryland were following us. We pull over at the curb by their all-too-familiar driveway, and I watch Dad backs the van out, and we start off again.