Chapter 9 - More Babies

Chapter 9

Ashley-

It’s been about a month since R5 left on tour again, and Ross filming his movie. I go for normal checkups at the hospital, and all signs tell the nurses I’m clear of whatever that guy put in me. Anyway, right now, I’m calling Ross to see if he’s available to talk for a few minutes. I’ve missed his voice around the house.

“Hello?” Ross’ voice rings through the phone on the fourth ring. I smile slightly. “Hey babe. How’s everything? How’s filming?”

“Ash! Everything’s pretty good,” I could almost hear the slight smile in his voice. “Filming’s going great, actually. But nothing’s the same without you here, my dear.”

I chuckle. “How’s everyone? Talked to Carter?” I ask this only because Annabelle and Carter wayed to go and stay with the band while they tour.

“Good,” he says. “The kids just called, actually. They’re good, but what about you?”

“I miss you,” I start, making him chuckle a little. “Same here, baby. But I’ll be back soon. But other than that, good?”

“Mmhmm,” I hum, doodling on one of my notepads on the kitchen island as I speak. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure, anything,” Ross replies almost right away in a assuring tone. “Um, what if I told you we’re having another baby?”

You see, after all the hospital excitement, and after everyone left again, I found out I’m having another baby. There was a first one, they told me, from what happened in the hotel suite, but with everything that the guy put in me, it didn’t live, and I didn’t even know about it. Anyway, this is what has happened.

“O-oh,” Ross breathes after a brief silence on his end of the phone.

Ross-

We’re having another baby?! Of course I’m happy, but I’m barely going to be home. They won’t have proper parents to take care of them.

“I, um,” I don’t know what to say. Well, I do, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t exactly want to say ‘oh my god, I’m so happy,’ only because I’m half and half at the moment.

“You’re not happy?” Ashley’s voice cracks on her end. “No, no baby, I am happy,” I’m quick to wipe it from her mind that I’m not. “It’s just… what about me barely being home?”

“We can work it out,” she says. “I know we can,” she pauses. “Can you at least try to sound happy? For me?” I sigh. “I am! It’s just – nevermind.”

I was about to say something, but I don’t want to, and I don’t think I’m going to. That something was I don’t know if I want another baby. I mean, I’ve loved having Carter and Annabelle with Ash, and still do, but I don’t know if we can maintain three kids.

“No, Ross,” she says. “What was it?”

I sigh. “Ashley, I already told you it’s nothing. It’s fine. Any plans for names?”

Mom signals to me that I have ten minutes left on my break, and I nod.

“Not yet. But don’t change the subject! Answer.”

“I don’t have to answer anything! But if you really want to know, I was going to say I don’t know if we can maintain three kids!” I was getting a little annoyed with the way Ashley is acting right now.

“You don’t think we could maintain three kids?! I can’t believe you! That’s why we’re going to do it together!”

“That’s not what I meant! I meant that I won’t be home to help and you’ll be left!”