2

June 2010.

Miranda is 13

Miranda walked to the teachers office and placed the assignment books on his desk.
"thank you Miranda."
He said without looking up.

She went back to class and found Jasmine talking to Zayn. She hated the guts of Zayn. She did not know why really but ever since their episode, she did not like him.

" I think I am going to go to a British high school. "
He said.

"oh you are so lucky, I wish that I would go too but my family is not as rich as yours. I will have to go to boarding school.
" said Jasmine.
She shivered,
"just imagining it makes me shudder."

When she saw Miranda she called to her but she did not come.

"Zayn says he is going to a British school."

She said.

"he is going to enjoy doing music and eating delicious lunches and all. While we are stuck in boarding schools eating boiled githeris and taking steaming hot tea."

Miranda seemed unmoved by her words.
"Miranda are you listening?"
Jasmine's  sounded agitated.

"yes. But I don't really see anything special about it as long as we get an education right?"
She pulled out her math book and started doing her sums.

Zayn stared at her in amusement. Since he came to the school, Miranda had not failed to impress him with her sharp answers and her calm nature.

" She is right. "
He said.
Jasmine seemed puzzled.

" how is that the same, there is more to life than just an education."

She remarked.

Miranda looked at her,
"tell that to those who have to walk kilometers to get an education."

Just as Jasmine was about to reply the teacher got in and their conversation was cut short.

*

Miranda felt frustrated, she had made a mess on her skirt on her periods.
The stain did not come off.

The bell rang when she was in the middle of scrubbing it off.
She let everyone go back first and went later.

She felt uneasy during class time. She could feel that she had messed again.
When the bell rang for lunch she was reluctant to go for it. But the teacher on duty got her out of class.
She stood in line for lunch uneasy trying to hide the huge stain on her blue dress.

She could hear murmurs behind her.
Some people saying harsh words.

"that is so disgusting."
Some girl said behind her.
She pressed back her tears.

She could feel people slowly get away from her. She stood grounded in fear and shame.
When everyone in front of her had picked their food. She could not move.
She stood grounded.

Tears now stinging her eyes. What was she going to do.

She then felt a pair of hands around her waist. She looked down to see a sweater around her waist and heard a voice behind her.

"let's go."
She knew that voice so well, it's hoarseness and calmness.
When she got to class she turned to see Zayn.
Her cheeks  burned red with shame.
She said nothing and just sat.

"I will bring you some food."
He left.
She cried.

Later Zayn came with a plate of food and a dress.

"wear this, a friend let you borrow it."

She took the plate and the dress.
She stood with the sweater still tied around her waist.
She felt so thankful towards him and immediately threw her arms around him.

"thank you."

She said and left to get changed.

Zayn stood transfixed to the ground.
He could not believe what had happened. I mean it was awful what had happened to Miranda. But she had hugged him.

She had hugged him.