Chapter 4

Two Years Ago

In the evening with orange light overflowing from the windows, there were three figures in an office. One was sitting and the other two standing in front of him.

"So? What are you going to the president about?" Dazai said wanting to hurry up to the dorm so that he could catch up on his help. There were only three of them left now.

"....I.....I...want to learn.... swordsmanship...from.. the..president" said Haru quietly unsure of what the two reactions would be especially Dazai.

"WHA.....WHAT?" Dazai was shocked by her words. "Swordmanship? You mean you want to learn fighting with a sword?" Dazai was obviously panicking. "Why? Why would you want to learn how to fight after all this time?" Dazai was trying to discourage her. Although her ability "Nothing From Nothing" could produce weapons out of thin air and control them without even touching them, it was out of question for her to stand in a battlefield of blood and tears. And besides for a girl who haven't even physically harm someone all this time, even less than hold a gun, it was obviously out of question.

"Calm down, Dazai" Fukuzawa said to the panicking one.

"BUT.." Dazai tried to protest to not let Haru learn how to fight.

"Haru, why do you want to learn swordmanship?" Fukuzawa questioned the little figure.

Haru bit her lips. She was gathering courage to let her answer herself to the question.

"I......I want to.. be able to protect...myself and everyone" Haru said in a more louder voice with her hands gripping her jeans tight and making her eyes to meet Fukuzawa's.

"Protect, you say? Okay. I will teach you" Fukuzawa said while standing up from his chair.

"President!!" Dazai shouted.

"Only on one condition. Only if you can keep up with the practice for two weeks. Isn't that okay with you, Dazai?" said Fukuzawa making his statement.

Dazai could only let himself calm down and agree to this condition. "Yes,..president" he answered back.

"Okay then, the two of you follow me" Fukuzawa said making his way to the door.

The Present

Dazai recalled those memories from two years ago by watching the two in front of him clashing with their swords. Haru managed to keep up with practice for two weeks(although there were bruises all over her body at that time after practice) and he just had to give in. He snuggled some food into his mouth from the bag that he bought as he realized after always watching those two that whenever the two of them practiced they usually forget about the time and usually continued till midnight or even past that. So he always bought enough rations for the three of them. If at that time, Haru wanted to learn to fight with a gun, he also could have taught her. But, the reason she chose sword, he had some kind of inkling to it.

"That's it for today. You have certainly improved, Haru" Fukuzawa said to the sweating figure in front of him.

"Thank you....very much...for today" Haru said clearly needing to catch her breath.

"Nice job out there, Haru and president" said Dazai handing out drinks to the two of them.

"Thank you" Fukuzawa said taking the green tea drink.

"Thank you,..Dazai-san" Haru took the other one.

"For a few days starting from tomorrow, I have some business to take care of in the town so I won't be at the Agency. If something happens, I will leave it to you" Fukuzawa said.