Chapter-14

Next Day after the events on the ship

Detective Agency

Haru walked up the stairs to the agency noticing that there were more noise than usual. Yesterday, Dazai messaged her that he would be taking this day off so she wouldn't worry with the lack of his presence. When she opened the door, she was greeted with the sight of a small girl and the president glaring.....or looking at each other intensely. "Very well, I will take her in,"the president said. The others were shocked by his statement. Haru was truly confused by this situation so she couldn't help but let out her voice. "...What's...going..on?" she asked, hoping to get some answers.

"Ah, Haru, you forgot to contact me yesterday," Ranpo said. That was not the answer she was hoping for but she was reminded of her thing to do. She truly had forgotten to contact Ranpo with all the situation with Dazai yesterday. That was the first time in a while she had disobeyed his words. And as usual, she couldn't tell what Dazai was feeling. Was it anger, disappointment or...both? Before she could speak apologizing words to Ranpo, Atsushi cut in.

"Haru-san, you haven't met her yet, right? Her name is Izumi Kyouka, former Port Mafia. Kyouka-chan, this is Aikawa Haru-san," he said while beckoning Kyouka to introduce herself. Although unknown to Atsushi and the Detective Agency members except Ranpo and the president, Kyouka already knew Haru because there were records of her at the Port Mafia. And Haru in turn was surprised that another Port Mafia deserter was joining Detective Agency and wondered if Dazai already knew about this.

"I'm Izumi Kyouka. Please take care of me from now on," Kyouka bowed down her head in respect. Haru became flustered what to do. She had never had people since long ago and only on jobs. "M..me too...Please take care of...me,"Haru too bowed down her head. The rest of the people laughed at their exchange. By the time Haru lifted her head, her face was red in embarrassment. Before she could utter another word, the president told Haru to follow him to his room. Haru followed him quietly. She already guessed the reason for that. After the two of them left, the rest continued to celebrate Kyouka entry into the Detective Agency.

President's Room

"You already know why you are here, don't you, Haru?" The president asked her as he sat down at his chair. Haru could only nod in answer. "The reason...why don't you tell me?" The president continued. "The..The reason was..." Haru was thinking how to tell him. "You already know that Dazai can take care of himself. There was no need for you to go to him. What if you encountered Port Mafia members before you meet him? Were you prepared to kill them?"

The last question shook Haru of her core. "N...NO" Haru raised her voice. "I..I would only knock them unconscious and....continued going. But..." Haru clenched her fists. "But?" The president questioned. "A..After all the training I had under you,....I could still not hurt that person...Even when I saw him fighting with Dazai-san,..I could only threaten him...and in turn he knocked me unconscious....If Dazai-san weren't there.....I would...."

"So you weren't able to hurt him, huh?" The president confirmed. "I..I am sorry. I'm very sorry. Next time, I will definitely not hesitate. It's just that....I don't have the resolve yet...I am still....searching for it. Please...please give me a bit more time....Next time...Next time I meet him, I will definitely" Before she could finish her sentence, the president touched her face. She was shocked. She didn't realize that she was near him because she was looking down in fear of seeing the disappointment in his eyes. "I am not blaming you. I am not blaming you so stop looking down and look at me in the eye."

Haru did as she was told. "I taught you myself because you told me that you were going to use it to protect and not kill others. Haru, do you remember what I told you at the first training session? You must have the resolve to kill or hurt others when you wield the blade. You were already using the sword long before you met me so I said that it's okay to not have that resolve now. You can take your time searching for it. But if...if you don't find your resolve to hurt those who were once precious to you, you will in turn be a victim. Maybe you would be okay with it but the people who hold you precious will not be. You understand what I'm trying to say, right?" The president asked.

Haru nodded. "It's not like I'm telling you to take someone's life. I'm telling you to do self-defence. I will hold onto your words for now. Even if I gave you some time for now, time will not wait. Sooner or later, we will probably fight against Port Mafia. When that time comes, I want you to protect the non-combative staff members. So, the next time you meet the person you are talking about, when that time comes, I hope you will be able to find your resolve," said the president and he let go of his hands on Haru's face.

"I...I will try..my best..not to betray...your expectations," Haru answered. "Good, now go back to the others and welcome the new member," the president said as he went back to his chair. "Y..Yes sir.., please excuse me.." Haru said as she left the room. "I am also getting soft" The president said to himself after Haru left.

Detective Agency

After leaving the president's room, Haru sighed in relief that nothing worse situation she imagined in her head happened such as she would be confined or some other things. Now that she looked around, everyone was still celebrating Kyouka's entry. Haru didn't know how to talk to her in that crowd of people so she went to her desk to do her work and some of Dazai's work. After some time of working through the papers, she noticed that Kyouka was staring at her right beside her and all the others now went back to their work, although Kyouka was still wearing that maid outfit which looked cute in Haru's opinion by the way.

"Is...Is there...anything...you want to..say?" Haru was getting uneasy about her stare. "I just thought you looked quite different from what I heard," Kyouka answered. At that, Haru flinched. "To think that, you had killed that many" Haru closed her mouth with her hands before Kyouka could finish and scanned the surrounding area to see if somebody heard what Kyouka said. After confirming that there was no one in the rest area, she pulled Kyouka to there which bought the members of the Detective Agency some question marks as Haru was doing something out of character.

After arriving at the rest area and sitting down with Kyouka, Haru looked at her in the eye. "Don't...don't tell anyone about...that....about me and.....Dazai-san. They don't know.....except the president...and Ranpo-san," Haru told her not sure Kyouka would understand the reason but it won't hurt to try. "I got it" That's all Kyouka said in response. And Haru seeing that it was a good time to get to know each other initiated a conversation. "H...how old are you?" Haru asked. "14" Kyouka answered. "H...How young..of you. To..be in the Port Mafia...at that age" Haru said, not knowing it was about to lead her to digging her own grave. "Not as young as you. You were only about 10 when you joined."
Haru felt horrible. But it was true that she spent almost half of her life in Port Maifa. Haru could only laughed awkwardly.

"W..Why did you..join the...Detective Agency?" Haru continued with her questions. "I do not wish to kill anyone anymore," Kyouka answered without hesitation. Haru was starting to feel a bit jealous at the girl. Kyouka was certainly clear at what she wanted even going as far as to defect the Port Mafia on her own unlike her who was swept away by Dazai's decisions all her life. Not that she was complaining, she didn't even have the right to complain to the one who has done everything for her. Even that night, when Dazai asked her if she would escape Port Mafia together, even if he was asking her, she felt as if he was telling her to go with him, not that she didn't want to go but she wouldn't have done it if he didn't ask her.

"H..how many..did..you kill?" Haru asked. "35, what about you?" Kyouka asked her. "I..I don't know....It's..not as if...I have forgotten...I truly...don't know..You know about...my ability, right?" Haru sheepishly asked. Kyouka could only nod to that.