five

When we arrived at the library, Jenny was already sitting there, waiting for us.

Also there at a table in the back, lo and behold, mister Colby Brock. He looked up and back at me for about three seconds, then he looked back down at whatever papers he was working on.

"Hey Jenny," Emilia greeted the girl and sat down in front of her. I snapped out of it and sat down next to Emilia. "This is Arabella, she's here to help us. Apparently she's really good at math."

"Call me Ara," I smiled at her. "Nice to meet you."

"You too," Jenny smiled back. "And great you're good at math because I understand jack about these questions."

I chuckled. "Let's see."

About twenty minutes later we had solved all the question.

"Wow, you really are good at this," Jenny chuckled. "From now on you're my go-to math person."

I laughed. "I'm fine with that."

Someone cleared their throat behind me. Jenny's eyes went a little bigger so judging by that it was probably my brother or one of his friends.

Boy, was I wrong.

I turned around to face them. "Brock?" I asked surprised.

"I have to go," Jenny said. "I'm meeting with someone."

"See you later," Emilia told her friend, who was now rushing off.

Colby raised an eyebrow at Emilia. "Hurry up, Rossi."

I frowned. "She doesn't have to go. What the fuck do you want?"

"She does. Leave," he demanded her.

"I'll see you in class?" she asked unsure as she stood up from her seat.

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Good," she whispered, and silently left.

Colby sat down on the chair next to me. "Now what?" I half snapped.

"I uhm," he said. "You need to help me."

I frowned as he laid a paper down in front of me. "The math homework?"

"You can laugh at me all you want but I cannot fail this class again. You have to help me," he explained.

I just sat there. Confused, mostly. "Uh..." I let out and scratched my neck. "That's why she had to leave? Because you don't want others to see how you're asking my help?"

He rolled his eyes. "No."

"Then wh-"

"Oh forget it," he snapped and snatched the sheet of paper away from me.

My eyes went wide. "No, it's fine I'll-"

"Is everything alright?" Tyler asked as he entered the library with Hero and Liam.

Emilia, I thought.

"Yeah," I replied as Colby stormed off into the hallway and disappeared behind the corner.

"What did he want?" Hero asked.

I shrugged. "No idea."

"What a fucking weirdo," Liam said. The bell rang.

"Do you have anymore classes with him today?" Tyler asked.

I shook my head. "No, just math, and I don't have math on Friday."

"Good," he replied. "We'll walk you to class."

"No way," I refused. "I told you I don't need  a babysitter. I can fend for myself."

"Yeah, I saw that," Hero snorted.

I lifted my eyebrows at him. "The guy wasn't even doing anything. If he was, I would've dealt with it. Now I'd appreciate it if you'd all chill out, at my previous school I was perfectly fine on my own."

"Alright," Tyler said, putting his hands up in defense. "Have it your way then."

"Thank you," I said. "I'll see all of you later."

And with that, and nothing else, I left to find my next class. It was starting to annoy me that the guys were this protective over me like I hadn't been to high school before. I did perfectly fine on my own last year and the year before that. I was going to have to convince them I was perfectly able of taking care of myself - otherwise this nonsense would never end.

"Oh, hey," Emilia smiled as I walked into class. "You okay? What did Brock want?"

I shrugged and smiled back at her as I sat down in the seat next to hers. "I'm fine. And nothing, really. Anyways, thanks for notifying my brother and his friends. I appreciate your concern."

"That's what friends are for," she winked.

After school, Hero and I went home in silence. I was thankful he hadn't tried to pry into the situation with Colby earlier any further, because I would've probably given in and told him what it was really about.

And even if I - extremely - disliked him, I wasn't about to release my brother onto him after he'd found out Colby asked for my help with math.

"You go ahead and get ready for the party, I'll get the table," he announced after dinner.

"Where is Hero and what have you done to my brother?" I asked him with raised eyebrows.

He chuckled. "Just take it before I change my mind."

I shrugged. "I'm already gone."

I swung my backpack over my shoulder and hiked up the stairs towards my bedroom, where I spent at least twenty minutes picking an outfit.

Eventually I decided on wearing this dress I had only worn once before, because I hadn't had the chance to do so yet. I picked up my dress and matched a pair of heels with it and took them with me into the bathroom.

I took a quick shower and then blow dried my hair. I slipped my dress over my head and reached behind me to zip it up, then stepped into my heels.

I looked into the mirror and grabbed my makeup bag, applying a little more than usual. That meant eyeshadow and lipstick added to what I usually wore. I reached up into the cabinet and sprayed some of my favorite perfume on and around me, before deciding I was ready.

Walking back into my bedroom, I snatched my small purse from my desk and filled it with my wallet, keys and phone. I also took my lipstick with me in case I needed to freshen it up and made my way back down the stairs.

"It's nine-forty, I made it with five minutes to spare," I chuckled when I met with Hero in the living room.

He chuckled back. "Yeah. Let's go, Tyler told me he was ready half an hour ago."

"Alright," I replied and slipped my beige fluffy coat on over my outfit. "Let's go."