thirty-two

"Are you sure you don't wanna go to the party?" Hero asked me for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

I nodded. "Positive. Now go and have fun."

He shrugged and took his car keys from the table. "Alright, then. I'll see you later, or tomorrow."

"Yeah," I confirmed, watching as he left the house.

As soon as I heard the front door shut, I jumped up from the couch and ran up the stairs. Because Hero couldn't know I was going to another party, I couldn't prepare ahead of time. Luckily, I had already showered, picked out my outfit - which was just a black dress - and decided on what I wanted to do with my make-up. I had an hour left until Colby was coming to pick me up, so dressed myself and started on my make-up and hair. If you're as invested in this as me, this stuff will take up the entire hour I had left.

When I was done, I turned to look at the clock. It was almost 10 p.m., having finished with a few minutes to spare to pack my handbag. It was just a small, black crossbody bag with chains, but only my phone, wallet and keys had to fit in there so it would do.

[Messages]

asshole: i'm here :)
You to asshole: i'll be right out! :)

I took my jacket and slid it over my arms, then hung my bag over my shoulder before walking out the front door.

"Hey," I greeted him as I slipped into the passenger seat of his car.

"Hey," he chuckled back, looking at me for a few seconds before shifting gears and driving onto the street.

I cleared my throat, shuffling in my seat until I was comfortable. "So, what's the occasion for the party? Or is there... none?"

Colby shook his head. "Not really. I think he just does it to give people an excuse to be away from home and school, he knows some people have it hard."

"Oh, I see," I nodded. "That's a thoughtful motive."

"Yeah," he agreed. "Sam's a thoughtful person."

I turned my head to look out the window, the streets peacefully passing by - lit up by the street lights. "How are you?"

I heard Colby shift in his seat. "I'm alright. How are you?"

I knew he wasn't being true with me but decided to let it slide for now, not wanting to push him. "I'm good," I nodded.

"Still good with Hero?" he followed up, and I turned back to him.

I shrugged. "I guess, yeah. Not as tight as we were but at least we're talking. Don't worry about it, please."

He smiled softly. "I'll try."

I don't deserve you.

After a while we arrived at Sam's party, the house occupied by significantly more people than last time. "Wow," I chuckled as I looked at Colby, standing beside me.

He looked back at me as well. "Now you definitely don't have to worry about anyone seeing you here because there won't be enough space for that."

"True, true," I nodded. 

We walked up to the front door - which was wide open - and the house was absolutely packed. 

"There is no way I am not losing you in this mass," I chuckled.

He chuckled back, taking my hand in his. "You'll be fine."

I smiled and let him tug me along, all the way to the back and into the kitchen. I definitely already had beer spilled on me and it had only been a couple minutes. Sam was stood there, a red party cup in his hand as he was talking to another guy. As soon as he saw Colby, he excused himself and made his way over to us. "Hey guys!" he yelled over the music.