eleven

"You're late," I told Colby as he walked into the library that Thursday after school.

"And you're annoying," he retorted. "See me complaining?"

I let out a chuckle. "Quite often. Anyways, we need to have a word."

He raised an eyebrow as he plopped down into his usual chair next to me. "Oh?"

"You threatening me, that's gonna have to stop," I spoke, watching him as his lips broke out into a grin.

"Nah, girl, how else am I gonna make sure you stick to your promises? As said before, I wouldn't even trust you with my math book. And I hate math, as you know," he replied.

I rolled my eyes at him and opened his math book as he laid it down on the table. "You're a fucking dick, you know that, right?"

"Yeah," he snorted. "I do."

"You know, it wouldn't hurt you to just be nice for once," I replied as I skipped to the right page.

"My experience tells me otherwise," he muttered, and I knew it wasn't destined for my ears so I kept silent.

I looked down at the page before looking back up at him. "Anyways, have you tried making the homework we got Monday?"

He shrugged. "I did."

I was actually surprised. "Oh? And how did it go?"

"I don't know. Better than usual I suppose."

I nodded. "If you let me take a look at it I can compare it to my answers."

He frowned for a moment, but then shrugged again. "Yeah. Sure."

He pulled the sheet out from the back of his math book and slid it over to my side of the table, as I took mine out of my folder. As I scanned over it, I realized this whole tutoring thing might actually work out.

"Wow," I replied. "This is good, Colby. There are a couple answers that seem off but it's well done overall."

He shook his head. "What do you mean, some are off?"

I frowned. "Well, some answers are wrong but as I said, it's good overall."

He laughed as he shook his head, I could tell he was slightly mad. "I'm going to kill Chuck."

"Why?" I asked, but it dawned on me quickly. "Did you have Chuck make your homework?"

He let out a chuckle. "Wow, Sherlock."

I stood up from my chair, too fast as I heard the wood of the back rest clash with the floor. "I'm done. I'm here every fucking week trying to help you and you can't even do your own homework? I'm fucking done."

I snatched my bag from the floor and marched over to the exit. I heard Colby sigh. "Arabella."

I ignored him and walked on, leaving him to deal with his own mess. My way continued out to the football fields where I took a seat on the bleachers, watching as my brother's team waltzed across the field. Someone sat down next to me, so I looked up at them.

"Oh, hey, Tyler," I slightly smiled at him.

"Hey Ara," he chuckled. "Done studying?"

I let out a laugh. "Yeah, I'm done, one could say it fucking sucked."

"That bad?" he asked.

I sighed. "That bad."

"You're the smartest person I know, I'm sure you can do it," he smiled at me and then shifted his gaze towards the field again.

"Why are you not playing?" I asked, nodding towards the team practicing for the game tomorrow.

He shrugged. "Minor injury. It's not a big deal but coach told me to let it rest for tomorrow."

"Ah," I replied. "Get better, man."

He chuckled. "Thanks, man. Now wipe that scowl off your face."

I couldn't hold back the smile that was breaking through so I just let it and sat back in my seat. I pulled my knees up and wrapped my arms around them. "How are you doing?"

"Pretty good. What about you?"

"I'm fine," I nodded.

"Excited for the game tomorrow?" he asked and nudged me with his elbow.

"Me? I should ask you that," I chuckled.

He chuckled back. "I suppose so. I'm excited. It's the first game of this season, so, yeah, hopefully we win."

"With a quarterback like you? Hell yeah," I said and ruffled his hair.

"Arabella Rose Hayes, are you flirting with me?" he laughed and swung an arm around my shoulders.

I shook my head, laughing along. "In your dreams, Marshall."

"On a more serious note though, now that I think of it," he started. "Has that Brock kid been leaving you alone?"

I frowned. "Yeah. Why?"

He shrugged. "I've noticed his car in the parking lot when we're training. I just think it's weird and I have no clue as to where the fuck he hangs out or what he even does here after hours."

I let out a nervous chuckle. "No, I haven't once ran into him and he hasn't spoken to me."

"Good," Tyler nodded chuckling. "He's probably off fucking randoms in the janitor's closet."

I snorted. "I did not need that information, thank you very much."

He laughed, shaking his head. The coach yelled in our direction. "Marshall! You're needed here!"

"That's my cue," Tyler said and stood up with a slap on my knee. "I'll see you later."

"Yeah, see you later," I replied and watched as he skipped down the bleachers.

After practice was over, I met Hero at the car. "If you have something to tell me, just do it already instead of keeping secrets," he said as he opened his car door and got in.

I raised my eyebrows as I got in as well. "Hi to you too and I don't know what the fuck you're talking about."

He sighed and looked at me. "Are you serious? You're a fucking liar, Arabella."

My palms started getting sweaty. If he found out I'd been hanging out with Colby Brock I was dead meat. "I'm serious, Hero, I don't know what you're talking about."

He started the car and drove off. "Why couldn't you just tell me you and Tyler were dating? He's my best fucking friend, Ara. That's fucked up."

I looked at him, speechless, for a few seconds. Before bursting out laughing, that is. "You're a fucking joke, Hero! Tyler and I? Are you serious?"

"You guys were getting cuddled up on the bleachers and all, I have eyes, Ara! And so do the rest of our team!" he exclaimed.

I shook my head, still recovering from my fit of laughter. "Hero, I promise you, Tyler and I are not dating and all the love I feel for him is brotherly. I could never."

He let out a breath. "Thank God."

"You could've just asked Tyler, you know?" I said.

"He was gone before I had the chance to ask him," he replied. "Anyways, good to know I can stop worrying about this shit because it's been bothering me for weeks."

"You're a dummy, Hero."

He chuckled. "Yeah, I know."